Yiiiiiihaaaaa!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
YES!!!!!

Just made my first 10 pieces of CHARCLOTH!!! :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :nana: :super:
God, I'm happy! When i lit the first to see if I had did it right, there was NO DOUBT! My homemade firesteel lit it at 2 strikes!! :super: :wink: :biggthump

Sorry to tell, cause you probably already know, but this is the best tinder i have handled ever!

YEHPEEEE...... Well, you won't see me here the next days, cause' i'm gonna' make 100 pieces..... :super:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
It is excellent tinder ... and it's also fun to make! I always carry charcloth with me where ever I go.

Just don't use tablecloths as the cotton source! :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi Ed...

I had a magnesiumblock which I didn't use any longer, cause the magnesium blew away, so sawed the striking rod off with a hacksaw and worked a little with the striker. It had a little peice of magnesium on it. Then the striker came loose. I took a round stick, say, 11 mm. diameter and perforated a 1'' hole INSIDE the round stick, until the striker fitted. Then dropped a little super glue in the hole and then the stick in. It was ready in 5 sek. because of the fast drying glue. (nearly glued my fingers together)
Digital camera should arrive monday and as soon as I figure out how it works, i'll take a pic.
Remember to make the wood stick round and smooth with sandpaper. :wink:

I use this homemade steel, until I can afford a Swedish army steel. Much thicker and better I think. You could compare my stick with the swedish Scout stick. :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well done that man - good feeling isnt it? Your a step closer to freedom from the 21st century!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks! :biggthump
Yes, you're right Gary... Very nice feeling! :wink: (Just made 6 more over the barbecue :eek:): )
Your a step closer to freedom from the 21st century!
Yes, i'm not watching that much TV as I used to. More nature/survival programmes and things you can learn from. :pack:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Congrats Viking! Now it's time for the next step. Forget that ferro rod. Char cloth is meant for much more subtle firestarting. :) You need to get a piece of flint and some hardened steel. An old file will do or you can buy a "striker." Char cloth is so flammable it will catch that weak little spark coming off that metal file after you strike it with a hunk of flint. That's the true beauty of char cloth imo. :pack:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Before you get stuck in practice - flint and steel is like a delicat women it needs understanding to work - ask Jak!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
And remember that the steels can break if you're too rough... :wink:

Have fun! :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

OK i'll try to purchase one, but they're a hard time to find over here! :)
Just gonna' follow my motto or Ray Mears' advice in his book.... :wink: :biggthump

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
OK i'll try to purchase one, but they're a hard time to find over here!
You could always make one out of an 'old' file ;-) It must be an old file as newer ones tend to be case hardened and are no good for this. If you don't fancy making one get over to britishblades and ask one of the blacksmiths if they will make you one ;-) .... there may even be someone over you way.

Ed

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
OK, I've just been out the last 2 hours and make more charcloth. When the barbecue nearly were out of coal I tried a last time with old, dead wood and a piece of tinder fungus!! :eek:):

Both the tree and fungus worked! :wink: :biggthump Very well indeed....
You all have to try this if you already haven't! It's a direct order! :rolmao: :lol:
The tinder fungus burns exellent! :wink: :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Just wanted to hear if anyone tried this today or are planning too?? :wink:
Just remember to let it cool a little more of, than the cloth, cause mine ignited itself when I took it out! :shock: :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE