Yey! Got an ember with the bow drill!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 29, 2016
Essex
I've been plugging away at this for a few days - sneaking off at each opportunity to practice some more. Until this morning I'd been getting lots of smoke, but no embers, just piles of dark brown/black dust. Finally got an ember this morning which was rewarding - haven't had a chance to have another go to see if it was just a fluke!!

I'm using hazel drill and hearth. Cheating a bit as I use a rollerblade wheel for the bearing block (it is literally a 'bearing' block) which I'm sure makes it quite a lot easier. Once I get consistent I'll ditch the rollerblade wheel and use something more traditional.

JC

phil1981

Oct 27, 2012
Livingston
Manage to get last night was so happy i ran into the house shouting. "I am man i made fire" wife just looked at me like i was nuts.... I've been trying to get it for about 3 weeks now but got it with goats willow for the hearth/drill.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
Well done you. It's still on my 'to-do' list for this summer, but you can bet that I'll be doing the "I am man I made fire" routine if I'm lucky enough to succeed. Before that though I'm expecting a flint and steel set to arrive soon, so I'll be having a bash with that. Must remember to wear my gloves for that - Got a feeling it could be a painful experience else ... !!

Once again, congratulations on a job well done and a skill well learnt.

phil1981

Oct 27, 2012
Livingston
thx m8. i hope you get to do it this summer, and let me know how you get on with your flint and steel i have been thinking about getting a set as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE