yew staff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i have a yew walking staff that has been finished off but has a kink in it, its been seasoned but dident know if there is a way to straighten it, i have read that the use of a hot airgun can heat the wood before straighting it (on greenwood) will it work when dry? i think the wood is 3years old.
24072008433.jpg

24072008432.jpg

25072008437.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not certain but I suspect the hot air gun method might blister your sealer. I'm wondering if lots of boiling water might do the job?
Don't set to, on my advice though! wait a bit and see if we have any stick masters on board;)
Really like the staff, by the way,any chance of a closer look at the top?
best wishes
R.B.

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Looks like a bend it would get from being stood up against a corner ;) I found that out from experience :rolleyes:

Now I hang my long bows up...

Cheers

:)

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
You have sap wood on one side and heart wood on the other. Most woods around here dry and shrink more in the sap wood than the heart. Looks like yours did the opposite.

You can use a heat gun and watch it very carefully to keep from blistering the finish or checking the wood or a steam heat will be much safer. You can always refinish if you bung it up. It's fairly easy to make a steam box, ask if you need some direction.

Get it hot all through and bend it back straight or a little past straight. Keep it straight well past cooling and it should stay. Some people would go to the trouble to build a form to clamp the stick in place while it cools. I think for just one piece with no more bend than that you can work it out by hand. You can reheat it and bend more if it needs it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE