Yew longbow fresh out the shop.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks all. Its about 60/40 heart/sapwood. Would have been nice to get the heartwood content up but unfortunately wood says no..

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks absolutely stunning mate! I need to make some more bodkins up to do it justice!

All the best
Andy

Still not let these bad boys fly yet mate weather has been awful. Will let you know how they get on but I have a sneaky feeling they will be great.

That's wonderful. Just wondering what sort of string it is?

String is just a Dacron jobby mate half white half black.
My local archery shops makes them up for me whilst I wait (read spend more money on arrow bits).

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks chaps. Still not got out to clout shoot it yet due to this orrible cold we have all come down with. Struggling to find someone without this orrible cold at the minute.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dwardo, that is a fine example, it looks a little "lug" style, though possibly my failing eyes making that up from the photos.

Where is the local archery shop up your way? I sometimes get close to Chester but I don't know it well.

ATB

Ogri the trog

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dwardo, that is a fine example, it looks a little "lug" style, though possibly my failing eyes making that up from the photos.

Where is the local archery shop up your way? I sometimes get close to Chester but I don't know it well.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks Orgi. I think its actually a bit taller than me.
When I say local I actually mean "nearest" which is unfortunately still a good 40 mins away. The place is called Bowplus and is probably a bit closer to you than me.
http://bow-plus.co.uk/
Very nice family business and great people. Even if they do hide every time I come in with a new bow wanting a full laid in Flemish making right there and then :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No bud but i have a ticket for Saturday day and night at the woods!

Here you go mate ;)

Accurate and scientifically correct armour piercing test with the new bodkins. Only the tree stopped it. Nawt else besides a tree would stop them to be honest bud.

IMAG1531_zps899a2fdf.jpg

IMAG1532_zps38fa666e.jpg

Just for a laugh traffic cone.
IMAG1525_zps4be9fa1d.jpg

Distance wise i was very surprised, About 190/200 Yards with the 60lbs bow. I still think they they could be lighter to give the arrow more stability on the loose. Or a heavier bow and shaft, watch this space whych elm next. ;)

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Ha ha, cracking stuff mate.

I'll try and bring the weight down slightly when I get back in the forge in a couple of weeks. They've got me doing another 3 weeker offshore just now!

It looks great! Looks like you had a pretty good time of it! ;)

all the best
Andy

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yeah was a right laugh. Shame I didnt have any more targets to play with but time, weather and daylight were all short.

PS didnt even dull the point, neither did slamming down into frozen ground over a few hundred yards. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE