yew berries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
well for years we've been told that the fruit of the yew is deadly. :eek:

according to the tree program on bbc2 tonite the fruit is edible and tastes like a strawberry raspberry cross - the stone however is the poisonous bit and is now being used to make cancer drugs - 1 stone can make life a bit unpleasant for an adult which could be why we were told to leave it alone.

the bloke ate one on screen and did the rest of the program ok so I guess its ok.

I look forward to the first yewberry wine review :)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
A particularly unpleasant death, Yew poisoning, I believe. That's probably why mothers everywhere warn their children off them and why mothers everywhere may be cursing the BBC tonight. :(
"A little learning is a dangerous thing!"

I think I'll stick with the strawberries and raspberries myself! :)

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
The flesh of the fruit is edible eaten to myself rest of tree not edible.

However the flesh does contain traces of toxics which if comsued in large amounts will prove dangerous, just remember to spit out stone or you will not have second chance to try them.

Best avoided if you do not need to eat them.

I am forestry student we eat anything of trees...........

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As has been said, it is edible but it’s best not to unless you have to as there’s a few horror stories about.

Here’s a few links to other Yew threads that go into it in a bit more depth.

Yew for food?

Yew

Now the last time there was discussion on this I got it in the neck from a few people for not just categorically stating that no one should eat them, I think that stance is wrong. So all I’ll say is that if anyone does eat them it’s on your head, there is a chance, although very slim, that you will die. People have been eating them for years with no ill affect but every now and then someone comes unstuck.

They are edible, they taste fine, just be careful :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
It states in the book 'Food from the Wild' by Ian Burrows that

"all parts of the tree are poisonous EXCEPT the for the fleshy aril (berry), which are completely toxin free. Sweet and tasty, with a gelatinous texture.it can be eaten raw. The seed must not be chewed, although it is not dangerous if accidentally swallowed whole, since no toxins are released".

That sounds pretty categorical to me

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Montivagus said:
A particularly unpleasant death, Yew poisoning, I believe. That's probably why mothers everywhere warn their children off them and why mothers everywhere may be cursing the BBC tonight. :(

When I was a kid, I was told "that's poisonous" almost all the time.

I found out much later, taht this was my mother erring on the side of caution.

I ate plenty of things without her knowing. Like being about six or seven, and coming home from school with a friend when we saw some bushes with nice red fruit. I looked at the leaves and thought that these things must be "wild grapes"... They were redcurrants. :lol:

Other than that, I was pretty much limited to apples, pears, bilberries, blackberries and rhubarb.

K.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
"all parts of the tree are poisonous EXCEPT the for the fleshy aril (berry), which are completely toxin free. Sweet and tasty, with a gelatinous texture.it can be eaten raw. The seed must not be chewed, although it is not dangerous if accidentally swallowed whole, since no toxins are released".

That sounds pretty categorical to me
You are quite correct in the infomation, but the potential for harm is always there as just a small nick or scratch on the seed from a filling or broken tooth would be enough to send you into a coma if swallowing the seeds is your thing...... Yew has one ofthe most powerful natural toxins known to man and should not be treated lightly.

:)
Ed

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I think if you hunt the net enough you can find out 2 importants facts about yew toxin in the seeds - how much is dangerous and how much is in one seed.

I know the danger has been principly from eating whole branches by cattle.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I tried one the other weekend .... after watching two others try them first ..... although thinking about that now it just means they could have keeled over an hour later and I would have gone the same way at one hour and ten seconds :eek:

Must admit though it did taste nice and I can see me trying them again
A case of extreme moderation on quantity though

I'm the bravest coward I know :cool:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
"The lethal dose for an adult is estimated to be not less than 50 gm. of the leaves, but as few as 4 or 5 of the seeds may prove fatal for a child."
As quoted from 'A guide to wild plants, the edible and poisonous species of the Northern Hemisphere' by M. Jordan, B Sc., M.Inst.Biol.

Thats is only an estimated guess as there are many factors involved. 2 yews growing next to each other can have vastly different amounts of the toxins, its one of the peculiarities of the yew tree. Also, though many see the flesh as non toxic, there have been many studies that show the flesh to be of low toxicity. Also remember that the toxins are very volatile and on hot / sunny days the outside flesh can become contaminated by the 'fumes' (for want of a better word)..... a fact known to have been used by our ancient ancestors who used to sit under yew trees on hot and sunny days for the trippy effects to gain visions.

Remember these are fatal doses..... you need alot less just to become ill and suffer the effects of taxine poisoning.

Be safe :cool:

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
But do a calculation on the 0.1% of body weight analysis and work out how many seeds might be a serious problem.
This figure varies from website to website .... dont you just love the internet..... I have seen figures all the way down to 0.05% of bodyweight :confused:

Ed

M

Millbilly

Ed said:
a fact known to have been used by our ancient ancestors who used to sit under yew trees on hot and sunny days for the trippy effects to gain visions. Ed
Have to give that a try i think... ;)

:lmao:

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
I love to eat an occasional yew berry, but always only one at a time so you can swallow at most one seed by accident (never happened, but still), and always take care there are no kids around, unless there is a good opportunity to teach them about the Yew berries and their dangers.

Live and Love,
Anneke

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE