Yet another spoon question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I've been making spoons for a while now (since this time last year) but I havn't got a clue what to do with them when they're carved. Mine always turn out looking a bit rubbish compared to others I've seen on here. How do you get the wood to shine? Is it raising the grain with warm water and sanding over and over again or is it the amount of oil coats?

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
My spoons are getting better, making them shine for me, has appeared to be related to the amount of oil you can get in to the wood. The wood does of course have to be smooth, but it is the oil that makes it shine.

Although I have not tried it yet I have heard of people soaking woodwork in warm oil, not boiling.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
presumably the warm oil would penetrate the wood further. the best way of making wood shine i've found is to compress the surface, makes a hell of a difference, say by using the handle od blade back of your knife, or a spoon...and then an oil or two, but this usually removes some of the shine while making it more durable. Hazel is an excellent wood for compressing the surface of, it becomes almost mirror-like.

good luck.

bowman

Jan 6, 2006
East Sussex
Ralph

It's like everything else - it's all in the preparation. I use 3 grades of sandpaper - starting with a 60 grit to take out the carving marks. Next, a 100 grit and then a 180 grit. I finish with cabinet grade steel wool - '00000' grade. Get this from B&Q, etc. I make pieces of furniture from time to time and it is the steel wool which gives the silky smooth and therefore shiny finish. It is also what gives longbow arrows the necessary smoothness.
Then I run it under a warm tap and leave to dry overnight. Next evening, do it again - 3 times should be enough. The secret is the next bit - when you think it is as smooth as possible, do it again.
Then I apply the oil - 3 coats with steel wool between each coat.
This all sounds like a pain but the process doesn't take long and can all be achieved over a few evenings.

And next time you think the spoon 'looks rubbish', consider this - there is not another one like it anywhere on the planet. I reckon that is what gives me the biggest kick out of making them.

Good luck to you and post the results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE