Yellowstone aurora / Alocs cookset review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Hey folks i was looking into buying one of these for a while but could not find any decent reviews.
So i decided to buy one for myself and then do my first real review.

I have up until now been using a Swedish Army Trangia for brews in the woods but wanted something lighter and faster boiling.
I will be using mine for comparison.

SO here goes and please bear with me.

Firstly let me start with the title, yes they are exactly the same item. Made in China by a company called Kingpool. Yellowstone seem to have bought a bulk load and are marketing them as there own the same as Alocs did in China.
There are no brand stamps of any kind on the stove or parts.

It came in a nice box written in English with instructions weight etc.

On opening the box box the stove and accessories are all neatly packed away in the net storage bag.
Inside you get
A spirit burner
A simmer ring
Top windshield
Bottom windshield
pot rest (silver circle)
900ml pot
340ml pot
A small microfiber cleaning cloth and the net storage bag.

At only 565g its a lot lighter over all than the SAT at over 1kg

All put together

And here is my old faithful SAT.

So i firstly started off testing the difference with the Spirit burners.
The size is obvious, the SAT is a big brass unit and the Yellowstone is smaller and a lot lighter.

The burn and bloom was also a lot different, the SAT took 6m 8sec to bloom from cold, the YS took only 2m 2sec and was a lot bigger and more powerful than the SAT

Next i did a boil test, both pots i filled with 500ml of cold water and put on the flames once it had bloomed.
The SAT took 13m 44sec to come to a rolling boil
The YS took only 8m 23sec to rolling boil.
Factor in the time it takes to bloom and the YS is a much faster boil than the old SAT.

I did see one big difference in that the SAT burner sits on the floor allowing cold when in snow/wet to affect its performance where as the YS has a lower windshield that the Burner sits on and raises it from the floor. This also creates a bigger gap between the burner top and pot bottom on the YS that allows the flame to raise itself bigger.

So i took the bottom windshield off the YS resting the burner on the floor, reducing the gap and did another boil test.
This time it took over a minute less to rolling boil. so reducing the gap seems to help the flame do its stuff. (maybe a little bit of modding needed here)

Very nice looking, packs away very tightly and neatly, uses less pack space and weight.
Overall the YS is a very nice little cookset that come in lighter and with a faster boil time than my SAT.
It costs a little more at £30 delivered but i think it is well worth the extra money.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
great review rebel dog looks a nice neat little package i would prefer that to the sat evan though the sat is bullit proof regards dave

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
nice, looks very useful. Whats the efficiency ? I seem to remember the trangia being horrendously innefficient in comparison to things like the vargo on small pots.

a question about yellowstone too, have seen them around and they seem to sell everything that is mass manufactured in china. It looks a good build quality, I think its a case of judge each product seperatley.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's a good review!
I've usually steered clear of spirit burners due to bulkiness of Trangia's and the likes of.
I like that design and I might consider it..........you never know!

Thanks for the write up!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
That's a good review!
I've usually steered clear of spirit burners due to bulkiness of Trangia's and the likes of.
I like that design and I might consider it..........you never know!

Thanks for the write up!

Bulky?

Have you not seen the Trangia 27 series, they're certainly not bulky. Well not compared to standard Trangia sets anyway and especially not compared to how much functionality you get out of them.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Bulky?

Have you not seen the Trangia 27 series, they're certainly not bulky. Well not compared to standard Trangia sets anyway and especially not compared to how much functionality you get out of them.

Fair point, but I usually just cook on an open fire and if I am going somewhere there is no wood I will use a small gas stove. They're not really bulky, especially the 27 series, but they are compared to what I'm used to carrying for a cook set.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Fair point, but I usually just cook on an open fire and if I am going somewhere there is no wood I will use a small gas stove. They're not really bulky, especially the 27 series, but they are compared to what I'm used to carrying for a cook set.

I'm not really used to one cook set, I seem to take a different one each time I go out. Cant really pick a fave, plus it depends on location/distance etc. I do really like the Trangia 27 because of its size/weight to functionality ratio but I also like cooking straight in a pot over a fire. I also have various titanium or hard anodized pots/pans systems to go with gas stoves for lighter/smaller packing on hikes.

As I get out more I think I'll eventually choose a fave system.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Nive review Martin, good to see you posting again. Hope the family are well and get yourself to a meet. Its been too long.

Baby is doing fine thanks, growing up far too fast.
Was hoping to make the meet at WRW this month but need to make sure finances are sorted first.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Good review. Question though; what was the relative fuel consumption during the boil test between the slower sat and the faster aurora?

The reason I ask is that whilst my trangia isn't the fastest or the most efficient, in the open or above 8,000 foot, it's not that greedy on fuel, every fast burner I've come across is rather more fuel hungry at the same job, speed in my experience comes at a higher cost in fuel. I like spirit burners in general but I find the trangia 25 or 27 (if one eats a lot as I do) very hard to beat, they cost a bit more, but one gets what one pays for.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I was going to test the consumption but my scales battery died so could not test the weights.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
But I dont have amything small enough to measure under 1 fluid oz.
Doing it by weight and then working out from there will be easy once I get a battery later.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I have the Alocs version, very lightweight, highly rated, got mine from hunterscamping/mike dixon
only negative is the bag, so my wife made me a custom one out of old trouser leg.

Worth noting that the Lidl tinned sweets tins fit perfectly inside and you can stack 3 of them and just about have space for the burner.

I was wondering whether the similarly shaped £6 mountain warehouse poty and mug set would fit inside as they are a smaller volume, cant find dimensions for them tho.

Al

Excellent review and it does look like a nice little set up...

My only concern would be the grate/ grill plate thingy which supports the pot, as my long experience with alcohol stoves has led me to believe certain principles of efficiency when it comes to this method of cooking/ brewing - I call them the "trangia principles":

1) The burner must be well ventilated whilst at the same time shielding the flame from wind.

This would appear to achieve that with its trangia style base. Too many third party burner stands don't allow sufficient ventilation to the burner causing it to overheat and consume fuel excessively (the overpowering stink of alcohol is the first clue that this is happening). A good third party stand, in my view, which does ventilate and protect would be the clikstand. I wouldn't mod the stand if I were you - a minute or two less time to boil is not worth fuel efficiency IMO - there are also reports of trangias cracking in third party stands, no doubt caused by overheating.

2) Titanium is unsuitable unless you are just boiling water. It heats up quickly but unevenly, resulting in a hot spot over the heat source. Wide bottom aluminium is best.

This appears to be HA aluminium which ticks that box, although it sacrifices the wide bottom pot for compactness which is no bad thing. I personally don't get on with aluminium, prefering SS, but hard anodized would be a good compromise...

3) Don't have anything between the flame and the base of the pot as it acts like a heat sink soaking up some of the flames energy before it heats the pot.

This would be my concern, looking at your photos of the kit and one mod I would try would be to ditch the supplied pot suppot and maybe try some wire supports, or very thin tent stakes through those vent holes at the top of the windshield - spaced as wide apart as possible so that the flame hits and spreads across the base of the pot before getting to the wire supports.

All in all though it looks like a nice little brew and solo cook kit - thanks for sharing!

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Nice review Aloc.

I've just bought one of the Yellowstone spirit burners - not the full kit.

There are no instructions on filling it with spirit - can you give me any guidance - I've no experience with these and don't want to create a fireball

Also I guess the sliding bit on the snuffing out cap is to create a reduced flame - am I right?

Thanks

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Yeah there designed as a simmer ring. You need to make sure its well lit before putting it on or it will snuff it out.
Filling it is as easy as pouring in the meths until level with the outer holes and then lighting it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE