ye olde avon 'n zummerzet "group to be"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Jon(ajuna)
Ben(Bazzworx)
Jay (Jaysurfer) Hoping to attend but will need to confirm date nearer the time.
BW (possibly)
Phil(salad)
Tim (mace242)
James and Jackie (mayobushcraft)
Graham (myotis) hopefully, but teaching until unkown time in evening :-(
James (FreddyFish)

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Alright guys...
Jon is temporarily away for the next 5 days so how about we start a discussion about what people would like to gain out of the meet?
And also what people want to achieve on an overnight / wknd?

I am sure different people have different skills and there could be alot we can learn from each other.

J

The Pub:
I'm looking forward to meeting up with some local (ish) guys with an interest in bushcraft and a pint.

Overnight /Wknd:
1. Spending more time with like minded guys.
2. A chance to share and practice skills.
3. Talking **** and whittle around the camp fire.
4. Making friends, maybe make future plans to meet.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
This looks like we might have a nice group coming together. Really looking forward to it. I have done some deer, pig and rabbit butchery in hunting camps. And have camped around Florida both in wilderness and public camp grounds. I try to go to Yellow Wood near Hereford several times a year when the money is there. Paul at Yellow Wood is a great guy has 30 acres of woodland there. Check out the link below we can talk about it at the pub.
http://www.bushcraftadventures.com/

I can see this turning into a great opprotunity to talk to and exchange skills and knowedge.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
The Pub:
I'm looking forward to meeting up with some local (ish) guys with an interest in bushcraft and a pint.

Overnight /Wknd:
1. Spending more time with like minded guys.
2. A chance to share and practice skills.
3. Talking **** and whittle around the camp fire.
4. Making friends, maybe make future plans to meet.

I agree, great oppoortunity just to chat and have a laugh with with like minded people

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
If any of you guys an gals.Dont want to drive and fancy a pint . A bed in the dorm at Glastonbury backpackers is £15. I have just booked myself in

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Looks like it could get messy and this is only the first meet...
God knows what an over night met will end up like!
Drunken madness round the fire trying to butcher things by the sounds of it, funny cos the Britons/druids were doing that about 1500 yrs ago, things never really change...

Im happy to come to a over night in the woods etc

but cant really pop over (2hr drive) for a pine in the evening :D

ATB
Duncan

Baz you really need to reword your post :lmao:

BAZ said:
Usually I go out with SWMBO or a couple of no so bushy mates. I do like the sound of a spit roast, always wanted to try it.

nice to see you 2 on sunday :D will sort that blade out when i can

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Duncan the fact that you pointed that out shows your train of thought....

You'll fit right in with the Old Summerset lot...
Where men are dirty and the women are filthy (in my experience!) all farmers and outdoor types loving the mud of course!

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
How embarrassing!! Wrote that on the wrong forum :) Yeah good to see you to, got that blade handled yesterday. looks sweet for a first time go!

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Just to keep the thread going....
What does everyone who would like to come to the over night meet sleep on?
the floor or a hammock??

J

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Well I recently got a hammock and tried it a couple of times but the 1st time i got a very cold **** and second time the ropes stretched so much i was almost on the floor. So I up for ideas of the best, lightest and none stretchy rope or tapes... Any thoughts?

I do quite like the floor with my bivi. but i like the idea of the hammock better (if i can get it right).

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
FYI, I'll be coming from Frome if anyone is on route and wants a lift or if anyone is passing me and wants to pick me up...

Just a thought.
PS. I've not done any mad axe wheileding murders.... that i can remember ;)

no odds to me but i use a hammock these days if i can was -5degC teh other weekend tho :rolleyes:.
lucky i got the supershelter with the HH :eek: it was Kin Taters in the mornin cider was nicly chilled that night.... just difficult to drink doing star jumps :lmao::lmao:
Ham2.jpg

Ham3.jpg

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I am in Somerset,count me in chaps- Off to Norway at the weekend for a week,hope to catch up with you Cats later in the spring.
My best.
C da C.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Well i have a lightweight one / two man tent which i use if there is no trees...
Or i go Hammocking, although have only really used my hammock in fair weather so far March - Oct but i do now have a Snugpack cocoon which covers the hammock completely as an under and over blanket all in one.
So that should be good...

J

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I have a Hammock that I use most of the time. But I have a eureka 4 season as well that I use if im expecting realy bad weather. I must admit I also have a Soulpad canvas with stove that my wife and I use for reanactments Jackie dances at them. She wanted something she could stand up in. I do like it though.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Depends on the location and weather. Got a hammock and a couple of tents that I vary between. Also not totally against making myself a natural shelter sometimes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE