ye olde avon 'n zummerzet "group to be"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I might be interested in have a mooch over to Glasto on the 19th if I've got nothing else on.

Jon(ajuna)
Ben(Bazzworx)
Jay (Jaysurfer) Hoping to attend but will need to confirm date nearer the time.
BW (possibly)

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Jon(ajuna)
Ben(Bazzworx)
BW (possibly)
Phil(salad)
Tim (mace242)
James and Jackie (mayobushcraft)

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
good good! we have a drink on :)

see you all and hopefully even more... then :)

but now im off to bed after a five day survival course... im kernacked! lol

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Looks like a good little group is starting up....
now if only we can arrange a camp where everyone can come it be a nice little thing

well lets hope everyone brings their diaries so we can look at sorting some promising dates :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Jon(ajuna)
Ben(Bazzworx)
BW (possibly)
Phil(salad)
Tim (mace242)
Graham (myotis) hopefully, but teaching until unkown time in evening :-(

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I too will share what food i have and liquids! A good camp share scheme is always a bonus and more enjoyable i find...

I have a farm deli near me that does fresh lamb. Think you can get a whole lamb for £40 ish....
So maybe we can organise a pit roast.... yuuuuuummmmmmm

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I too will share what food i have and liquids! A good camp share scheme is always a bonus and more enjoyable i find...

I have a farm deli near me that does fresh lamb. Think you can get a whole lamb for £40 ish....
So maybe we can organise a pit roast.... yuuuuuummmmmmm

any butchers amongst us? i would love to learn how to break down a whole pig (or half and then just double the work in my head) or lamb.... if not, could see if anyone's up for practising rabbit skinning or the like (with the proceeds eaten of course! :) )

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
new pages needs new attendance list :)

As its pretty central zummerzet, can I propose that we have an initial meet for a beer and a pie (if they do them? if not, crisps!) at:

George Hotel and Pilgrims' Inn at Glastonbury 8pm Friday 19th Feb

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/32/32715/George_and_Pilgrim/Glastonbury (click for address, phone number and maps)

066b1ebb88298f52c83ce129a4bcdb1b.jpg

please add name to list if coming....

the list:

Jon (jonajuna)
Ben (Bazzworx)
BW (possibly)
Phil (salad)
Tim (mace242)
Graham (myotis) hopefully, but teaching until unkown time in evening :-(

Last edited:

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Alright guys...
Jon is temporarily away for the next 5 days so how about we start a discussion about what people would like to gain out of the meet?
And also what people want to achieve on an overnight / wknd?

I am sure different people have different skills and there could be alot we can learn from each other.

J

any butchers amongst us? i would love to learn how to break down a whole pig (or half and then just double the work in my head) or lamb.... if not, could see if anyone's up for practising rabbit skinning or the like (with the proceeds eaten of course! :) )

If you want to do pig butchery
i did a 2 day weekend on a half pig last year when you take into acount the amount of organic pork you end up with its very good value :eek:
are in Templecoombe

http://www.empirefarm.co.uk/butchery-courses-785-0.html

course if you haev one in a fields you just wack it ona spit roast mmmmmmmmmmmmm cracklin

Rabbits are easy :D

ATB

Duncan

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Duncan your always welcome to join us round the fire! As is anyone else... I'd like to learn more about field butchery and also it would be nice to skill share with like minded people. Usually I go out with SWMBO or a couple of no so bushy mates. I do like the sound of a spit roast, always wanted to try it. + I really need to perfect my knots SWMBO was not impressed when her hammoc dropped one night!! :)

Ben

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Alright guys...
what people would like to gain out of the meet?
And also what people want to achieve on an overnight / wknd?

I am sure different people have different skills and there could be alot we can learn from each other.

The meet at the pub will be good to just say hello in an atmosphere where there are no real responsibilities or expectations from anyone. An ice breaker before a field meet.

For a field meeting I would be interested in:

help with putting up/using my unused DD hammock
knife/axe care and sharpening

In terms of skills I can share, a bit limited there.

I was a professional photographer for 14 years (before digital), so I know a bit about both still and cine photography. I know a bit about digital, but not a professional level.

I now teach ecology, but mainly things like legislation, risk assessment and statistics, so even though I used to make a living doing bird and mammal surveys my field skills are now very poor.

But if anyone wants me to bring some bat detectors to a summer meet to spend an evening listening to bats then I could sort something out. Or an introduction to badger surveys or something of that sort, I could help.

Graham

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
now this is starting to get interesting...
looks like we will all have lots to talk about and learn.

I have spent most of my life outdoors - all through scouts, Army Cadets etc etc
I spent 6 months living in Africa when i was younger and spent some of that time out in the 'bush' with tribes people and non-tribes ppl who just live in the middle of nowhere in huts.

I have a collection of axes and knives you are welcome to have a play with and now some of FGYT's excellent spoon carving knives...

So am happy to help and offer any knowledge i have.
Jon i know has just recently completed a survival course so he might have ome stuff to offer as well as a joke along the way lol

J

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains

Hi There

I am not a butcher and I cant teach you about different cuts of meat, however I will be happy to show you how to gut, skin and take apart a large mammal like a pig,goat or dear using no more than just your knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE