Yank Look’ in for Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After poke' in around this forum for sometime I found that Highlanders packs seem to be very well respected. I am thinking of getting a NRT44 / Forces 44 pack from Highlander. However since I am in the US (Portland, Oregon) and cannot run down to the store to try one on. I was wonder if you might give me some input I have a torso length of 19" or 48.26cm. Any input would be great.

PL

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I don't have a 44 but I do have a 33 and a 66. The 33 fits me perfectly and I'm 5' 7". They do have good strap adjustment and I think the 33 will fit most people as long as you don't want to use the waist strap, which on the 33 is not load bearing anyway. The 44 I believe has the adjustable sa system which means that you can alter the size realy easily. This is the same as the 66 so will fit pretty much anybody I believe. Like I said I'm pretty short and the 66 fits me well. I'm sure we have some taller people on here who use the 66 too and find it good too. I'd check that the 44 has the sa system and check that it has padded waist straps - get pictures if possible.

Hope that helps.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Hi,

I've just bought a 44 - love it as a day sack for family days out (wife and 2 toddlers = lots to carry), and about to try it for a weekend away in the woods.

I'm about 5'10" and the 44 fits nicely on my back. The top of the bag is level with my shoulders and the padded waist straps sit on my waist rather than on my hips - ie above the waist band of a pair of jeans. If you did adjust the shoulder straps then the padded air system (or whatever it's called) probably wouldn't fit your back that well. Having said that, it's really comfy to wear.

As for use, the side pockets are great - think a 58 pattern water bottle per side and then a bit taller. The main body has a 6" snow flap with draw string and there's a draw string on the main body. The only problem comes when loading and unloading the bag as the storm flap really needs to be opened out over the body so that it doesn't get in the way.

My other bag is a Wynnster Equador (80 litre) which has an openeing at the base - something which I miss in the 44, but nothing that decent packing can't get round.

All in all it's a top bit of kit for £30.

Chris

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
Hi Primitiveliver,

I have a Highlander Forces 44.

It does not have the adjustable back system like its bigger brothers.

Some pics

Forces44front.jpg

Forces44side.jpg

Forces44back1.jpg

Forces441.jpg

Forces442.jpg

I am 5' 10'' but slim build and it fits comfortably.
The pack rides high on me so the waist strap sits above my waist but I still find it ok carrying kit for a couple of nights.

Quality wise you get what you pay for. It does not feel as robust as the Vango Canyon 25 I use every day but the workmanship and quality of assembly is fine. The stitching is still in place and it has nice chunky zips.
The only wear seems to be on the cords used for the snow flap and for closing the top. They are starting to unweave and fray - easily replaced though.
You also get a rain cover included as well. :)
All in all a good bag for the money.

Can't find my tape measure at the moment but if you would like some measurements just ask.

Long Stride

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Thanks for that - useful. When I looked on the net it seemed to say it had an adjustable back like the 66 now I see it's like the 33 but with a padded waist strap. May end up adding one of those too if my 33 doesn't hold enough for 2 days though I'm trying to cut right down on my kit.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've also got a 44, a god pack for the money, but i do find it a bit on the short side, i have used it over night, and as a day pack, and the only fault is as already mentioned, the cords fraying.
So the larger ones have an adjustable back system ?, i will have to have a look at one.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I've also got a 44, a god pack for the money, but i do find it a bit on the short side, i have used it over night, and as a day pack, and the only fault is as already mentioned, the cords fraying.
So the larger ones have an adjustable back system ?, i will have to have a look at one.

The adjusting system is really good. My 66 is really very good. I have taken it all over the place and it's stood up to everything. The rain cover is top notch and I've left it outside in really pouring rain as my current tent doesn't have a huge amount of room - it coped brilliantly. Also the rain cover doubles as a carry bag. One of the best buys in all my kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE