Yakut blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
After seeing a post from Janne about a type of Siberian knife known as a Yakut (not to be confused with a hipster yogurt product), I thought I would see if I could get one knocked up for the Moot.

I had a little look into them on t'interweb and they are an interesting blade. Convex to the left (when viewed edge down tip left) and flat on the right, with a hollow along the id section of blade. So when looked at in cross section it is rather like an elongated D or a bird's talon , chisel ground edge. Very odd things! They seem to be the Siberian everything knife, the Leuko and Puuko of the Russian Wastes if you like.

Somebody kindly posted a video of a Russian chap making them, so I watched, then ignored it and made the blade how I was thinking to do so. It did give me a chance to see the knife from different angles though, which was good. I also found another post on here by Tamoko, where he reconstructed a historical example. Much more my thing :) http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110336&highlight=yakut Worth a look through if only for the diagrams from an old book

Anyway, time being too short to do the project any real justice, I made a couple of blades to tempt folks with and then fitted a third to a simple handle. The finished (almost, no sheath) knife will be available for anybody to take away and play with for a few hours whilst at the moot. I'm interested to hear what people think of this very odd blade :)

please excuse the poor phone pictures. The handled knife has about 4" blade and the handle is oak, all blades in 52100

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• yakut1.jpg
    yakut1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 123
  • yakut2.jpg
    yakut2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 121

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE