Wrapped in cotton wool???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Thanks for the reassurance that teaching kids these things is a good thing, I only 21 myself and my parents were anything but the 'woodsy' 'outdoor' sort of type. I remember getting my first real knife after finding it in a relatives belongings that were left to me and i gave myself a good cut across the thumb whilst trying to make a spear at about the age of 13. a few small stiches later and I soon learned to respect knifes instead of messing around with them. its sad people don't think we can teach or trust children with knives these days and that the only people using them are up to no good or in a gang. if people taught kids to use and respect knifes properly im sure that we would have a lot less knife crime in the uk.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
With our have a go archery we have the youngest children shooting and all, with two exceptions, point only towards the targets, stand still and do not run to retrieve arrows and all the rest of the reasonable precautions. One exception was a boy who claimed he was a County Level Archer who pointed his charged bow in the direction of his sister and who departed very quickly, the other was a girl with learning difficulties who did learn eventually and shot quite well.

However, "don't tell your Grandmother about this, remember she said not to" said one Father to his son which made be wonder about his upbringing.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Handling all sorts of tools is potentially hazardous and I think most of us learn by making occasional mistakes. You can't avoid that entirely, all you can do is to teach kids the correct way to use tools and then keep your fingers crossed that they don't do anything too serious during the learning process. Keeping them away from tools altogether leaves them unable to do anything practical at all.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
With our have a go archery we have the youngest children shooting and all, with two exceptions, point only towards the targets, stand still and do not run to retrieve arrows and all the rest of the reasonable precautions. One exception was a boy who claimed he was a County Level Archer who pointed his charged bow in the direction of his sister and who departed very quickly, the other was a girl with learning difficulties who did learn eventually and shot quite well.

However, "don't tell your Grandmother about this, remember she said not to" said one Father to his son which made be wonder about his upbringing.

so true.

I was supervising a group, told them to never point a bow at anyone, always keep it pointed down-range, even when not drawn. Several object (they were 13) saying they'd never actually shoot someone. Gave the classic answer of it becoming a habit, you get careless.

The most misbehaving little oik in the class pipes up "He's right. My uncle did that with his shotgun and it went off, killing my aunt."

They all shut up then and got on with shooting. Good kids, given the chance.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
There is no point. Kids cut themselves but don't stab themselves. I've taught a lot of under 10s to carve, used lots of plasters but never had an injury caused by the pointy end. Get her a proper knife.
We had an incident with a knife point when of our Scouts (13) was using a knife (not for carving) he unfortunately was cutting towards himself and stuck the knife in his hand. He had serious injuries requiring surgery. He is fine now other some scarring.

He was working in a way that he had been taught not to and reminded of moments earlier.

We still use the same knives and teach the same way.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My mother bought me a Swiss Army knife when I learned to read.
Seemed as an good age to learn about them as any other I guess.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Its a sad world this and political correctness and penknives. We are the only ones who can change it back by giving our views and not giving in to idiotic
policies

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Knife work teaches the far broader skill of hand-eye co-ordination. Humans have the most elegant muscle play in the arms.
Shame to waste what we are given. When kids can talk, time to start carving.
One rotten rainy afternoon, we carved new bars of bath soap.
They were fascinated to observe the erosion process in use.

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
From a professional point of view (education/teacher) today's parents (majority/average) are called "helicopter parents". These parents watch every step - in real life as well as in development - with eagle eyes. Usually they will read as many magazines on child education as possible - up to the point where they get so confused that the child is totally "messed up". The result of education by such control freaks is a deeply troubled person in the best case and a sociopath in the worst. The need to control is also the main reasons for parents to buy their children mobile phones, smart phones, etc. If you ask the parents for the reasons they'll tell you it's for emergency, if you ask the children they'll say: "It's because they want to be able to check when I'm where."
This of course demonstrates a lack of trust in the education of their children, which basically means, that they don't trust their own parental skills and judgements. It leads to an emphasis of the wrong stimuli creating unwanted behaviour. Long story short: The children cry when they should be laughing and the other way round.
The main reason for this is a rather normal insecurity young parents have regarding their "job". The problem that causes the damage is that, with the break-up of the larger family structures within modern society, the parents themselves cannot profit from the experiences of their own parents or others as directly and quickly as needed.

Oh glorious times:
70s-that-how-we-roll.jpg

Concerning knives... I got my first Swiss Army Knife at the age of five which I consider to be almost an ideal age. The child's hand is mobile and developed enough to actually practise with a blade and is at the same time too weak to open a pocket knife (if the srping's good). Of course there cannot be a guarantee that the child won't be able to open it before the age of 18 ;), but at least it buys you the time to install proper skills and guidelines while the use of the knife is limited to you being around.

Puuh, that was a lot of theory...

Greetz,
WG

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
You are right.
the world is very silly at times.
Better by far to be taught by one who knows that self teach and get hurt later.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
We do like the idea of being wise instructors don't we? Every discussion about knives or many other things boils down to controlling the young. I had a penknife when at least eight and never a word about its use from parents. Was taught to carry pointy things correctly that few, even older, people seem to do though. Ease awff on the young please, they do not need instruction in all life skills all the time.

Nov 26, 2011
co mayo ireland
Your right kids now are wrapped in cotton wool have had a Swiss army knife in me pocket since i was 8. I have a scar on my hand where a small kitchen knife went straight through my hand around 10 when i done that. Got my face ripped open Christmas eve by our dog when i was 4. Chopped me thumb of when i was 19 on a table saw. And have got pegged of more dirt bikes than i care to remember. Fell out of tree houses fractured ankles. But back then their was nothing said about it only what have you done to yourself now sure you will be better before your married

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Your right kids now are wrapped in cotton wool have had a Swiss army knife in me pocket since i was 8. I have a scar on my hand where a small kitchen knife went straight through my hand around 10 when i done that. Got my face ripped open Christmas eve by our dog when i was 4. Chopped me thumb of when i was 19 on a table saw. And have got pegged of more dirt bikes than i care to remember. Fell out of tree houses fractured ankles. But back then their was nothing said about it only what have you done to yourself now sure you will be better before your married

Hi, What's your nickname 'Lucky' :cool: you certainly had your fair share of accidents in your time!

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Regularly use hand saws, axes and even chainsaw around (and sometimes with, he often holds the axe as I whack it with something) a 3 year old. Today he was careering about the place in the woods and around the fire (on the property) on his own whilst I burned stuff, happy as larry. He rode in the trailer and is very sensible around tools - I asked him as I always do to make sure not to touch the saw, clippers, axe and knife that were in there with him. I know I can trust him as he has been around these tools his whole life and understands that they are not toys and messing with them can have consequences. He'll definitely be a contender for having a knife at a young age and living here in the sticks with a big forest on the doorstep he already is quite the opposite of wrapped in cotton wool, and is all the better off for it.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Ed,
I think you are doing the right thing by teaching your Son at an early age how to treat and act around tools that can do harm, I know some people that wouldn't even allow there children to climb tree's in case they fall and hurt them selves, when I was young my parents just let me get on with it, I was climbing trees, building tree houses, making bows and arrows with proper heads which could harm someone if you fired it at someone, and I was using a pen knife when I was about 8 or 9 years of age and I definitely wasn't wrapped up in cotton wool, but like everything times change, views change and restrictions to carry a pen knife or a fixed blade in your pocket could land you in trouble these days! as for my two Son's and my Daughter I encourage them to go out and explore and let them be independent at an early stage and to be honest I think they are better off for it as well.

DavidDavidson

Apr 30, 2015
Northern Ireland
Oh yeah the world has gone completely and utterly mad. I'm 22 now but I remember my dad getting me my first SAK at 5 (could have been younger but not any older than 6 since that's when he took his own life; I can hardly blame him; this world is so bent out of shape it wouldn't take much to push someone over the edge). Still have the scar where it closed up on my finger. Was flint knapping from four and making bows and arrows with flint heads at the same age. Both parents helped me. Taught to light fire when I was four or 5 with a burning glass too, think I had gotten in trouble with the school for being smarter than the teacher's kid essentially, or it might have been that time that asshole of a bully tried to push me into submission and I knocked out his tooth; he never touched me again at that school. My mother wanted me punished but my father taught me how to make fire with naught but a magnifying glass, he also gave me the best advice in case I ended up in another fight; grab the person by the neck or shoulder with one hand and keep pounding the face with the other, or if you can kick as hard as you can at their weakest knee. I remember I was taking apart the old gas cooker when the whole thing came down on me, split my head open good and proper, needed 6 stitches. Naturally the hospital assumed domestic violence rather than inquisitive five year old and kept asking me who pushed the cooker onto me and I wouldn't be in any trouble if I told them. Fecking bubble wrap or what. In the end it turned out that my parents had been wholl irresponsible to let me work on a disconnected gas cooker using tools without supervision.
That said the old man would usually take the wooden spoon to my rear end, I remember one time I fired a rubber band at the neighbour's car; he hit me with it til it broke. That said I learned my lesson on property damage pretty ******* fast after that whipping. I've gotten on the wrong side of the law a couple of times I'll admit, though never for violence, theft/property crime or crimes that would endanger or otherwise cause financial or physical harm to others.

If and when I raise kids they're getting their first knife when they learn it can be dangerous, by the time they're six or seven I'll be teaching them to hone straight razors and as soon as they're strong enough to draw a junior bow I'm teaching them archery, Lars Anderson style.. There was a time when every schoolchild carried a penknife so as to cut in a nib, those kids fought in two wars that would probably have any adult today run screaming to the nearest foxhole, they, the drafted had no choice either; in the first world war it was charge for the trench or be cut down by your own guns if you tried to run back. Not so sure about the second, though America and the UK wrote the history, so it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened there too; I know it happened with the Russians. Now (and I apologise to any soldier, but it's my opinion; you have every right to disagree and express yours against mine) but the current wars have just been a few states brutalising what amounts to a wet paper bag; the worst ones are the ones who brag about serving. I know my great grandfather (who built his own house by hand from the ground up and was still felling trees at the age of 92-94) never talked much about his time as a saboteur in Denmark except for showing me his luger that he 'acquired' from a German officer, taught me how to break a man's neck with little force and how to silence an opponent so he can't call out for backup (knife slid between the ribs, puncturing both lungs). He never talked about his days in the war and when he finally got caught never spoke of his time in the labour camp., he did however show me his 'bad-bottom tattoo' he got when he was in there.

No doubt if I get my child even a play gun or airsoft gun before he was a teenager I'd be looked down on as as scumbag, never mind getting my kid his/her first lockknife/fixed blade when they turn 9. People just don't know how to teach their kids responsibility and discipline nowadays and then they wonder why they're off getting **** faced (without telling me) at the ages of 15 and 16. I was actually scolded in college by saying that once my kid turns 6 he can have a (teeny tiny just bigger than a shot glass) of wine with dinner. UK stance on drinking is fecking stupid; "no drinking til you're 16-18 then you can binge drink all you want rather than learning responsible drinking from a young age. Hell, even former head of the ACMD admitted alcohol was more physically harmful than IV Heroin and people are flabbergasted when alcohol and tobacco make it to the top 5 on the 20 most dangerous substances. I'll likely let my kid have his first try one of those 'special cigarettes' when he turns 16-17 (and it's probably gonna be legal here or in Denmark; my bolt hole if UK gets much worse) if he's so inclined to sample it and if so at the age of 18 he can get to try one of those funny stamps that are all the rage, all the while in a safe environment with the person/s who love him/her most; once again only if it interests them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE