Would you use catapults?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Assuming:
A) you can carry, emergency elastics for making these. Virtually invisibly and never notice it. until you need it of course.

B) All be it a little heavy and probably not suited if your super light hiking, You can carry 20-30 or so 8-10mm ball bearings.

Additionally, Can you use one already?

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I'd use anything if needed. The use of catapult is illegal in many countries, e.g. in the NL it's even forbidden for fishers to use them as bait throwers.... The catapult as such is considered an improper weapon and carrying one is a serious offense.
But again, under circumstances it's always better to be tried by twelfe than carried by four (or six, depending on yous size:D )

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Just a personal view, but here in the uk I'm not going to starve, because within 48 hours max from almost anywhere on this island I can tab it out to the nearest fish and chip shop.. :D and personally I would hate to leave a trail of fluttering birds and crippled bunnies behind me from "nearly got 'im's." Of course if I was in a really life or death desperate 'survival' situation I might just be forced to head for the nearest Maccy D's instead...::yuck: :lmao:

Anyway, I reckon you should be able to hit a drinks can 10/10 consistantly, from at least 20 good paces, to make it humane and worthwhile carrying a catapult. :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Assuming:
A) you can carry, emergency elastics for making these. Virtually invisibly and never notice it. until you need it of course.

B) All be it a little heavy and probably not suited if your super light hiking, You can carry 20-30 or so 8-10mm ball bearings.

Additionally, Can you use one already?

I am confused by the question. At least, I think its a question, but its hard to tell.

Normally a question would be phrased in the form:
"Assuming that A and B are true, then do you, are you, or would you do C? Additionally, if you do do C, do you do D as well?"

Not really sure what it is that is being asked here, but will add my 2p anyway.

If you can't already use one then its going to be pretty pointless packing the elastic and the ammo along with you because should you ever really need it for survival, unlikely in the UK, its going to be too late to learn to use it.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I'm with wicca, and agree with Chris also, I'm not really too sure what is being asked here.

Using a catapult to kill creatures for the pot is not only pointless in the UK but thoroughly irresponsible. To use one for fun, in your back yard to shoot at targets and the like is perfectly acceptable.

You'd be better of packing a small travel rod and line and supplementing any rations with a couple of cooked trout or perch, keeping in mind the requirement for the necessary licence and permissions. Better still take enough food for the trip your making. Dehydrated food saves on both space and weight.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
The question of would you refers only to hunting, probably rabbits or squirrels etc, The later question is more about wether you do use one to shoot targets or coke cans. Comparing the two answers I was hoping to find out, how many people would trust one in a survival situation for food procurement purposes coompared to how many currently have one but do not consider it a proper or sucessful hunting weapon.

I tend to phrase my questions badly on here but theres a clarification.
And no your not likely to need to require it in the UK but still, if you wanna play that game then theres a lot of tricks and skills your not likely to need here in a crisis, but you still learn the skills right?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Gotcha' this time 8thsinner. Yep, I say get one and practise until you can hit hard and accurately with it. Another handy skill not to be dismissed at all.

It's you ya prawn! your original post was in Martian Shorthand Dialect wasn't it? :lmao: :lmao:

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
lol, I've got one and keep toying with the idea of getting it back out.

Frankly, as a kid, when responsibility and legality weren't particularly important to me, I've tried hunting with a catapult and you'd end up hungry imho - most things just give you a dirty look when hit at anything over about 25yds. I got pretty good with it and could hit pretty much anything but unless you hit it very hard with a steel ball, you're wasting your time.

As for squirells, I've shot them with my 12 bore and my .22 rimfire and had them run away, I once shot one three times with my 12bore before it fell out of the tree, they're tough little buggers!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Note the distance that he is shooting at though. You have to have some pretty impressive field craft to consistently get that close to anything you want to hunt. So in addition to needing to practice a lot with the slingshot, you need to practice a lot at stalking and moving and seeing game.

Squirrels in the park aren't the same as squirrels in the country and the ones way out where you might want them for food are pretty skittish. In Regent's Park you could bag any number with a walking stick, I don't think you would even need a bag of peanuts!

Mors had a litmus test for things to go in his survival kit. "How is this item going to help me stay warm and sleep better at night?" or something like that. Hypothermia, sleep deprivation and dehydration are going to be a problem weeks before starvation, and rabbit or squirrel are poor sources of energy food anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE