Would you buy primitive replicas at a store?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Would you buy Natural Materials and Primitive tools

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My wife and I do several Primitive Technology shows here in the US for educational groups and others. We have had an idea to open an outdoor shop that sells Atlatls, Blowguns, Natural materials, knapping materials like chert and moose antler. But my question is would you actualy buy items from a store if you did not have access to it or just wanted something you did not know how to make? As for bushcraft supplies thatcan be obtained at an outdoor shop but say a dogbane cord, or a hardwood atlatl dart. Just curious

leon-1

Brian I think that most of us have at some time, for a start anyone who has ever bought a strike-a-lite (traditional flint and steel), but I also think that it comes down to time and knowledge and level of experience.

So I would say generally people would and that I have as I own a flint and steel.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I think that your target group for ready made atlatls etc. isn't the abo/bushcrafter, it's more Joe public who wants something interesting to hang on their wall or show their friends. There's certainly nothing wrong with that and if it inspires an interest in them then it is excellent. Most abos are interested in the manufacture, as much as the use, of primitive technologies.
If you are targeting abos then I think you should be looking at raw materials. Many folks unfortunately have to live in cities and it must be hard for them to find sinew, antler, or knappable rock.
You could sell raw shafts that are suitably spined for atlatl darts, or blanks for atlatls that the purchaser could finish off and personalise.
Just some thoughts.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i guess it depends on what the item was.. remember, if im right in thinking, Blowguns are illigal in the UK along with a lot of other primitive hunting tools are not allowed over here and i wouldnt want to own something i couldnt use..

i guess to things i would want are things which take a lot of skill to make which i could study and learn to make.

Snufkin said:
I think that your target group for ready made atlatls etc. isn't the abo/bushcrafter, it's more Joe public who wants something interesting to hang on their wall or show their friends. There's certainly nothing wrong with that and if it inspires an interest in them then it is excellent. Most abos are interested in the manufacture, as much as the use, of primitive technologies.
If you are targeting abos then I think you should be looking at raw materials. Many folks unfortunately have to live in cities and it must be hard for them to find sinew, antler, or knappable rock.
You could sell raw shafts that are suitably spined for atlatl darts, or blanks for atlatls that the purchaser could finish off and personalise.
Just some thoughts.

You have certainly addressed some points of interests. Thanks!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Brian,
I think that there is a similarity between this thread and the one about hand drill kits. As a novice friction fire starter, my confidence would be heightened if I was to buy a kit of known or proven items to start me on the way to self-sufficient fire making. Similarly, with the items that you have mentioned, if I was looking to gain knowledge in a certain area - buying proven or original items would allow me to see/feel at first hand where I'm aiming to get.

ATB

Ogri the trog

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
There is a bloke round here who comes from Guyana (spelling!!) ,he returns home every few months and buys locally made things and brings them back and sells them on . The items he sells come more under the tribal banner than primitive , but i think he does ok out of it .
Pumbaa

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I think it has some mileage in it. As suggested earlier an online store would represent minimal outlay/maximum target audience. Back it up with some ads/articles in relevant magazines, a mailshot catalogue....
A major avenue might be the education establishments, any project on primitive people is bought to life with articles that can be handled and used.

Cheers
Rich

redflex said:
You can always try the market with an online shop, less risk and overheads,

That way you can test the demand and reach a much wider customer base.

I have considered a website store, however getting it optimized and up on the front search page is a huge obstacle unless you know something I don't :) It is wise to go about it this way I feel but as I said my worry is that the site will be somewhere in cyberspace and I will be unable to target my buyers. But ifI can advertise through a marketing campaign that might help also.

Roving Rich said:
I think it has some mileage in it. As suggested earlier an online store would represent minimal outlay/maximum target audience. Back it up with some ads/articles in relevant magazines, a mailshot catalogue....
A major avenue might be the education establishments, any project on primitive people is bought to life with articles that can be handled and used.

Cheers
Rich
Rich, I think that this idea in conjunction with a website may be the key. Combining the two would definately address the search engine rank, and offer a demo so to speak of the quality through magazine or mailers. Thanks to both of you.

Well thanks all who have subcribed to the poll. We are starting the store in Febuary in Clayton, GA. But will have it online as well. We will be harvesting things such as Mullein, Yucca, Chaga, Red and White Cedar, and alot of herbs. We will also be carrying certain cherts. Here are a few
  • Hearth Boards in
    Cottonwood
    Basswood
    Handspindles with bannerstone
    and stuff like this
if you want to make requests as to what would help you in the UK please drop me a reply. This is the SE USA.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
There is a small and spread out market for stuff like that, but it is real, and there's not a huge amount of competition. I'd have thought that if you open a 'proper' shop with this kind of stuff you might spend a lot of time alone in it! If it's going to be a serious business, you could pay someone to do the technical stuff for you, or get a partner, and go ahead with doing it online.

Asking on here about a market is fine, but we're a small group of very abnormal people. If you can get the begining young bushcrafters, middle aged hippies, and 18 year olds buying blowdarts as birthday presents for their mates, you'll be on to a winner. It'll be like a primitive version of teh gadget shop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE