would vinegar clean rust from cast iron?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Just wondering if this method would or can be used in removing rust and cleaning a rust dutch oven?

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Vinegar and salt mixed make a mild acid that cleans rust but nothing beats a bit of elbow grease and glass paper as its now called ( Sand paper of us old school ) :)

Sent from my Baobab Tree.

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
I have used sea salt and a dry cloth before. Works quite well without taking too much of the seasoning off.
Russ

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Vinegar and salt mixed make a mild acid that cleans rust but nothing beats a bit of elbow grease and glass paper as its now called ( Sand paper of us old school ) :)

Sent from my Baobab Tree.
Aluminium oxide paper, glass paper is now as old school as sandpaper.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A recent post, here or someplace else, mentioned using a mixture of treacle and water to remove rust, allegedly it works rather well. :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
sorry but ,

glass paper is very fine abrasives made from ground glass, sort of finishing paper, very smooth

sand paper is made from sand

alox made from aluminium oxide

wet and dry suitable for wet and dry use

emery blocks and emery cloth/belts material backed emery. Blocks suitable for polishing etc, cloths suitable for hard applications only, but very good at that.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
A wire brush either by hand. Even better one that fits a power drill!! Keep it well oiled and you wont have to do it again ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE