Would kiln dried ash be suitable for a bow ? sinew backed ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 7, 2006
Kent
Hi, I would love to make a decent useable bow. Yew would be lovely, but is expensive and AFAIK not a good choice for a 'beginner bowyer'.
Ash, I understand, is a reasonable substitute. I am concerned that kiln dried wood may be more likely to get stress fractures during use....due to the 'aggressive' drying of the Ash? If this is the case, would a good 'going over' with linseed oil help prevent this?
I would like to end up with bow of around 35-50 lbs, is that possible with ash? Or to increase the poundage could I back the bow with rawhide or sinew.
I would imagine that sinew from a fast, agile animal (such as deer) would possibly perform better than sinew from a less active animal (cow). However, I was thinking a quiet word with the local butcher might source me some cow, sheep or pig sinew.
Is there a cheap 'glue' (that I can make myself) suitable to stick the sinew to the bow?
All comments / suggestions gratefully received.......cheers :)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Katana

Kiln dried ash will make a splendid bow - no need to back it with anything at all. Shape and tiller it as a longbow with a fairly high stack and it will give you years of shooting.
Ash will follow the string after about a year and will loose a little draw weight in the process. Tiller it to about 60lb or more and this tendancy will be minimised. I have a 79lb ash self bow which i have shot regularly for 5 years. I can give you a set of dimensions of you like.

Cheers
Nick

Sep 7, 2006
Kent
Hi Nick,
thats good news.... thanks for the info :) , the dimensions would be a great help, thanks

Regards David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE