Worst advert ever

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
This made me laugh

B8EAED42-EAA5-4037-8210-EF5C969D6049.jpeg

For those who don't know: the wrong part of the chain is being sharpened, the part which should be sharp is squared off completely blunt, and the sparks are flying the wrong way.

Reactions: Droidy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, £1.89, not a lot of authenticity in the advertising budget.

Sometimes though, adverts are just totally idiotic. Case in point :rolleyes2:

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
The electric sharpener that I use has a very fine flat disc similar to a steel cutting disc. I only ever use the electric sharpener to true up a chain, getting all the teeth to the same length and the right angle before re setting the depth guides/rakers.
Filing by hand can be a bit inaccurate over repeated sharpenings as there is a tendency to file harder on one side compared to the other but I find electric sharpeners take too much off if you use them each time so I save it until a chain no longer cuts strait, then return to filing by hand once I’ve got the chain geometry back as it should be.

Reactions: Droidy and Kadushu

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use a jig and file by hand, it might be slower, but you can realy check a chain out properly for any problems that way, and the jig means it's kept uniform, especially if you count your filing strokes each time. That's how I was taught. No fancy gadgets tempt me. Why would I get tempted to change something that works ?
If the advert is so bad it's probably a con anyway, but plenty will get sucked into "shiny new kit that saves time and effort" syndrome.

Reactions: Droidy

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
What’s wrong with using a normal chainsaw file? Only takes a couple of strokes per tooth!
I went electric because files were costing a small fortune and it was taking an age to sharpen all my chains. It really depends how much you're using your chain(s), how long they are, what you're using them on and what type of chain they are. At that time I was running 3 chains on an 18" bar and another 3 on a 10" bar. Received wisdom was that Stihl chains were harder than Oregon and the way they ate through files seemed to confirm that. I don't know if that's still true. Anyway, the electric sharpener cost £20 and has lasted about 15 years. I still carry files and use them occasionally.

Reactions: Droidy and MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I went electric because files were costing a small fortune and it was taking an age to sharpen all my chains. It really depends how much you're using your chain(s), how long they are, what you're using them on and what type of chain they are. At that time I was running 3 chains on an 18" bar and another 3 on a 10" bar. Received wisdom was that Stihl chains were harder than Oregon and the way they ate through files seemed to confirm that. I don't know if that's still true. Anyway, the electric sharpener cost £20 and has lasted about 15 years. I still carry files and use them occasionally.
Yeah that’s a fair point. A proper chain sharpener would be fine, but I am not convinced with a round file in the end of a drill lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE