Worn Ferro rods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We use ferro rods to llight meths and ga\\s stoves when camping. It works well but one of our better ones (trust me some brands can be better than others) has a very unever wear. Bassically there seems to be a kind of dug out section so the strike steel catches on it and you can't really run it to the end. Have you found that happened to one of your?

The rod still has a lot of life left in it except for this catch point. Any way to remove the catch point? I mean would you run a file along it to smooth it off when that might cause sparks? I might be a bit tight but I hate wasting things when there is life in it still.

How long do typical ferro rods last? When are they truly past it?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had one like that. I managed to get it out of the handle and turn it around.
The glue that held it in kind of mucked up a clean swipe down to the end at first, but it eventually cleaned off just fine.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
What diameter is the rod?
I presume that you’ve already used the other side/ another face
I’d have a go at filing it.

I have a 12mm rod that seems to be made of little layers across its diameter as if it were a long pile of tidlywinks welded together. That is becoming rutted as I get close to the middle. I shall have to file it soon. I’ll do it slowly and out of doors obviously.

Yep. It looks as if filing is fine.

I pull the ferro rather than push the scraper so I tend to use more of the end anyway.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
My brother in law took chunks out of my antler handled rod being way too enthusiastic.
I gently filed it back (you get sparks but it’s fine)

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Along a similar vein, I had a spare rod that just sat in a drawer where it developed large divots corroded into the surface. I had to file it until the surface was level with the bottom of the divots, I ended up with a useable firesteel with a large flat surface.
I vote for filing it until is a more useable shape.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks. It is only one of the lifeventure ones I think, the bigger black handled version but it has a big divot right in the middle. I generally try to scrap the other side but the handle design has a scoop on it for holding and I tend to forget and scrape the divot. It is minor issue but annoying.

I bought a repacement, a cheaper one, and that is simply poor at getting sparks. Sure you scrape off the new rod surface coating to get down to bare ferro rod material but that simply sparks half as well as the Lifeventure brand.

Pulling the rod is something I do but perhaps coordination lets me down or something but doing that I can't seem to get the sparks where needed. Excuse to practise perhaps!! More camping trips!! :D

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE