World cup blues anyone, anyone?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lads only I'm afraid, I don't make the rules it's a higher power!

I see. That has it's merits. I went on base a few weeks ago to participate in the football lottery.

(They only get a limited number of tickets for the upcoming season so they use a lottery to allocate them; those drawn get to buy up to 4 tickets to whatever games are still unsold)

Well by the time my name was drawn, they had already sold out the best pro games (including the overnight trip to New Orleans to see the New Orleans Saints play the Green Bay Packers) That was the game that would have strained a relationship as I'm a diehard Saints fan and Barbara was born and raised in Wisconsin and thus a diehard Packers fan.

It all worked out well though as I got tickets fro a day trip to two university games instead:

1) Florida Seminoles vs Notre Dame Irish on 6 Sept.
2) Florida Seminoles vs The Citadel's Cadets (bulldogs)

Just under $100 for all 4 tickets and the tour bus.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Sounds like a bargain mate, we have similar problems I'm a derby fan and my missis is a stoke fan which are a few miles away so if we go to a game together it's always stoke vs derby so one of us gets the short draw and had to sit with the other teams fans, which can be fun when it gets irate!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OOPS! Not so much a bargain as it sounds I'm afraid. My bad phrasing. I meant to say it was a package price that worked out to about $100 for each ticket, not for all four.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Sounds like a bargain mate, we have similar problems I'm a derby fan and my missis is a stoke fan which are a few miles away so if we go to a game together it's always stoke vs derby so one of us gets the short draw and had to sit with the other teams fans, which can be fun when it gets irate!

Simple, sit at opposite ends, and get a divorce.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Isnt American footie actualy a system to generate statistics and advertising revenue?

Like last Superbowl, no one had any idea as to which teams were playing and who won, but they all watched the advertising.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not too gutted, I never expected England to get out of the group, Suarez was always going to destroy us and we rarely beat Italy in the world cup.

I'm still enjoying the event though, I can't see Brasil taking it, more likely Argentina or Germany

I'm about with you mate. I thought Netherlands Argentina could be a final but I would prefer it if Brazil took it.

England will have a better team in 2018 when Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley etc will peak.

As for the question I'm not disappointed as I didn't think we were going anywhere to start with. :(

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Isnt American footie actualy a system to generate statistics and advertising revenue?

Like last Superbowl, no one had any idea as to which teams were playing and who won, but they all watched the advertising.

Nope; not quite yet anyway.

American football starts way, way, way before the Superbowl. It begins with Peewee football at the Junior High School (Middle School) level in 7th and 8th grade.

The next level being high school, which is where the real addiction begins with the best teams going all the way to division championships. The university scouts following these players very closely looking for the prospects they're going to offer scholarships too. This is where the big money begins to insert itself, though on a comparatively smaller scale (a scholarship being worth far less than the $millions pros are paid)

Even on the pro level where the players are paid $millions and the owners and the NFL itself (the league) make $billions, the average fan (almost the entire population) are much, more interested (obsessed actually) with the game and the players. And they all know who the teams in the Superbowl are. The fascination with the ads is great but still secondary; as is the grandiose half-time show which is a spectacle in itself.

The bottom line is that the football and the money are related. It takes the fascination with the game itself to generate the money; and in turn, it takes the money to attract the quality of players, coaches, trainers etc, to generate the quality of play.

From what I've been seeing and reading the last few years, soccer'
begun moving in that direction as well, although not to the same scale as yet.

As to the statistics, no, that's baseball. Statistics have their use in football, but they're far less important.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
all big money organised sport is just a massive tool to milk the comman man of money, nothing else

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
all big money organised sport is just a massive tool to milk the comman man of money, nothing else

Yes. But it can only succeed in doing so if the common man will gladly pay the prices. And in some cases the common man actually owns the team (the Green Bay Packers are owned by the city/taxpayers of Green Bay)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I remember as kid in the early 80's going to a uk football match (Newcastle United regular as a bairn dragged by obsessed adults) it was a couple of pounds all in for the adults and kids to get into the match and including all food and drinks you would be lucky to spend £20, there days you would be lucky to get 1 adult and 1 child in for £100 sitting in the clouds, then they will extort you for everything from drinks to food and memorabilia whilst in there and you are right many people queue up to pay for the joy of it, each to their own i guess i just hate spending hard earned cash especially when i get nothing in return to show for it.

Fans owning the team is that a huge rarity in sport ? Do the GB packers win much? There are several fan owned Uk football teams but they are all in the comedy leagues.

To quote Mr. George Hull, "There's a sucker born every minute." A man of the past whose work involved the 'entertaining' of the masses

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I remember as kid in the early 80's going to a uk football match (Newcastle United regular as a bairn dragged by obsessed adults) it was a couple of pounds all in for the adults and kids to get into the match and including all food and drinks you would be lucky to spend £20, there days you would be lucky to get 1 adult and 1 child in for £100 sitting in the clouds, then they will extort you for everything from drinks to food and memorabilia whilst in there and you are right many people queue up to pay for the joy of it, each to their own i guess i just hate spending hard earned cash especially when i get nothing in return to show for it.....

On this, we are in almost total agreement; the enjoyment I get from actually attending a live game (vs watching at home on the tv) is garnered more from the enthusiasm of the crowd and the road trip in getting there (my nearest pro team is in New Orleans, a 5 hour drive away, and the nearest university team of any size is in Tampa, a three hour drive) That and possibly seeing the enjoyment on my grandson's face.

The prices are exorbitant, but as I stated earlier, the money is what attracts the quality of the players, coaches, trainers, etc. needed to make the quality of play.

An exception to this would be a highschool or peewee game where the prices are much lower and I'm more likely to have a relative playing.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Fans owning the team is that a huge rarity in sport ? Do the GB packers win much? There are several fan owned Uk football teams but they are all in the comedy leagues......

Fan ownership is indeed rare. But that said, The Green Bay Packers are a MAJOR POWERHOUSE in the NFL. They won the very first Superbowl, and several since then. They almost always have a winning season. For the first few years of their existence (they were an expansion team formed in the 1960s) they were considered the very definition of a pro football team.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No blues for me, then I may be the only Scottish bloke never to have seen a football match; live or on telly. Just doesn't float my boat. Still if folk are having fun then I think they're a good thing, have just seen the negative side of supporters too often - lived in Glasgow where its an excuse to hate each other.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Aye same here with the Tyne and Wear derby matches in the 80's, when the match is on now i just avoid my city centre altogether, doesn't help i am less than a mile from the stadium like and can hear them if i open the window on match day

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I constantly get asked about football by other blokes at work and socially and when I say I don't follow it they are stuck for conversation, almost pariah like. I soon find common ground mind.
It's a relief that they are out so soon, akin to whipping off the plaster rather than slowly pulling. Have Nawt against the sport just no interest at all, whatsoever.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE