Workshops

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Looking at the list of workshops on the bushmoot site, there are several that I would really like to go on. Are these something that we pre book, or are they a case of the first x that turn up on the day do them?

Cheers

J

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Looking at the list of workshops on the bushmoot site, there are several that I would really like to go on. Are these something that we pre book, or are they a case of the first x that turn up on the day do them?

Cheers

J

The courses that are pre and post Moot are pre-booked and paid for.

The workshops are just run on the day and people attend as they can fit them in. Some workshops are run more than once on the workshop days which are Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. This is because there are inevitable timing clashes between workshops that are offered. Others are one offs and you have to prioritise if you desperately want to attend. There is even more flexibility and bang for your buck now an extra workshop day has been added.

The morning meeting usually irons out things as far as timing, accomodating people, asking for specific workshops or formats etc. The workshops example page on the bushmoot site is just that, examples of what has been done, there is no hard commitment for all those to run and there are plenty of others that get offered in addition or instead.

Workshop briefs, timings and locations get written up the big white board, sometimes just that morning and people have been seen jogging from one to another. :burnout:

On top of all that, if you fancy running your own workshop then just arrange an area and write it up on the board. Consult Tony or Shelly if needed and people are always willing to help out and give advice.

I was mulling over offering 'tree felling with detcord and black powder' this year. :pokenest:

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, Phil has summed up well.

Workshops are generally listed the night before and there's usually quite a few of them so people just need to prioritise, the biggest complain we have is that people cannot get to all the workshops they want to but that's life. we usually manage to accommodate everyone that wants something specific that's not listed, in the morning meets

Morning meets happen at 10am on core days and allow us to go over all the items of business (lost property through to safety and general info) and also workshop details and to be able to mange requests and offers of workshops etc

Workshops run sat, Sun and tue, Wed, trader day/evening meal is mon and breaks up the workshops days

The key thing for people is to NOT come with expectations of specific workshops, it doesn't always work out, but to come with an open mind and just relax and enjoy the whole experience and all that's available, which is a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The sheer amount of planning we have to do so that the majority of people miss at least one important workshop - is huge!

Though we find it pays dividends in the long term, ensuring we have people who want to attend "Next Years" Moot ;)

Patience grasshopper, all will become clear!

Ogri the trog

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Apart from the prebook courses that are posted on the bushmoot site is there anything specific you would like to do during the workshop days of the Moot?

Normally people ask during morning meeting if there is someone willing to run specific workshop that isn't already on the board.

Workshops during the main moot are usually free or there is a small charge for materials that is advertised with the workshop.

Some workshops like Dean's spoon carving can get heavily over subscribed so put your name down early arrive on time and remember that people are giving their time and experience for free so please be patient. Often the leader of a workshop will add another session if there is demand. However there may well be activities they want to participate in too.

Cheers

J

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Some workshops like Dean's spoon carving can get heavily over subscribed so put your name down early arrive on time and remember that people are giving their time and experience for free so please be patient. Often the leader of a workshop will add another session if there is demand. However there may well be activities they want to participate in too.

Yup, some can be heavily oversubscribed and some generate hardly any interest :dunno: I'm seriously thinking whether to bother with running carving a netting needle this year because of the low numbers the past couple of years. Sods law will dictate though that if I don't loads of people will want to do it :rolleyes:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Apart from the prebook courses that are posted on the bushmoot site is there anything specific you would like to do during the workshop days of the Moot?

Based on the list on the website the ones that caught my eye were:

• Carving a Net needle/net making
  • Making fishing hooks
  • Atlatl Making & Throwing
  • Flintknapping
  • Whoopie Slings

Yup, some can be heavily oversubscribed and some generate hardly any interest :dunno: I'm seriously thinking whether to bother with running carving a netting needle this year because of the low numbers the past couple of years. Sods law will dictate though that if I don't loads of people will want to do it :rolleyes:

Guess what, that one is top of the list of workshops I wanted to do :p

Julia

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Julia,

If there is something you want to learn, don't be shy about asking during the morning meetings - it is very likely that someone will be able to help you - indeed it would probably lead to a popular workshop that others would like to attend.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Oooh if there's Flint knapping I'm bringing my Ishi stick with the copper tip, cost I'm rubbish at knapping and should put in some practice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE