Working woodsman boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Looking to buy a decent pair of working, hiking boots that are !00% waterproof and can go a good ankle deep+ in salt water.
Currently my much loved Solomons have had their day and while they are the most comfortable I have ever work having goretex on the outside id great until the dirt gets into the fibres and that's it for being waterproof.

Not posted in a while so background is I look after the Curbridge Nature Reserve for the National Trust which is an ancient woodland (wet woodland so lots of mud) and it also runs along the river Hamble which I sometimes have to cross at low tide to get to part of the site.

In deep winter I use a good quality wellington but for dryer spells and heavy working coppicing etc plus when I am not knee deep in mud I need something to cover me for the reset of the year with the exception of a hot summers day when I have lighter shoes or the Solomons before they completely fall apart.

Wondering what everyone else uses?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Berghaus Explorer Trek with goretex for me. I have had about 7 pairs over the years. I always buy them in sales. As you say the goretex liner eventually succumbs, but until then they are light and comfy as a pair of slippers. With ankle support :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Have a look at Arbortec boots for foresty and arb work. A work boot that is now more akin to a heavy duty mountaineering boot. Mine last me about 2 years, but thats doing heavy arb and forestry work every day. They have a pretty decent range, but no idea what they cost (work buy them).

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
It's worth having a look through the Stihl and Husqvarna catalogues.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had the chance to work as a professional fisherman for a federal research agency.
In that and for many years that followed, Greb Kodiak were the boot of choice.
You get what you pay for. Redwing were #2.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I had the chance to work as a professional fisherman for a federal research agency.
In that and for many years that followed, Greb Kodiak were the boot of choice.
You get what you pay for. Redwing were #2.
I think they're simply known as Kodiak now:
"The last Greb plant in Kitchener, a Kodiak boot plant on Hayward Avenue, closed its doors in 1991."

K

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE