Working with Antler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I have had some antler kicking around for a while and inspired by the the article in Bushcraft magazine I decided to have a go at making a little Sami container.

Two things rapidly became apparent:-
1) Just how hard and dense antler is
&
2) How much it stinks when you try to cut or work it!

I only have access to the usual tools (nothing fancy like pillar drills) so does anyone have any hints or tips for a newbie?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It only stinks when you use powertools. You don't need powertools. And yes it is very hard and dense, depending on the species, reindeer being the hardest (That I know of)

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
The middle is relatively soft compared with the outer. A hacksaw is ideal for cutting it.

It stinks, think of drilled teeth and then multiply.

Make sure you wear a suitable dust mask, the dust is carcinogenic.

Have fun

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Am i wierd that i like the smell of antler when drilled:D Ive made many antler whistles in the past that turn out very well.

You should be able to core the middle out with a sharp knife,,the outer is much harder.
power tools are a bonus..

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Make sure you wear a suitable dust mask, the dust is carcinogenic.

Have fun

What is carcinogenic?
EDIT: Looked it up. I refuse to believe that without evidence.

I've never had problems with reindeer dust. (As long as I didn't get it in my eyes).
You know people in China even sniff reindeer dust for some particular reason.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
yep, it smells rank! like friggin nasty melting hair and finger nails!

I used a file, rasp, sand paper and a hand drill for my bit's I played with. that way you don't get any nasty toxic fine dust to breath in and kill you!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
that way you don't get any nasty toxic fine dust to breath in and kill you!

Can somebody show me a study, or something to prove it is really toxic? Dogs chew antlers, they don't die. Without reason to believe it it's just hypochondria.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
"Make sure you wear a suitable dust mask, the dust is carcinogenic." Eeeeek!

"Am i wierd that i like the smell of antler when drilled"
Yes ;)

"It only stinks when you use power tools"
And hacksaws!

Thanks for the tips guys. Glad it isn't just me that finds the smell disgusting! I quite fancy doing a bit of Sami-style scrimshawing too, but maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk.......

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Um, I believe eating it is fine, but breathing in the fine particals into your lungs can cause disease. same with any biological particals from wood and bone etc all apparently have the potential to fester in your lungs and do no good.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
All dust bad for your lungs. A mask/ respirator is a must when using belt grinders, the air will be thick with fine dust. Using hand tools will minimise the dust, but I would still wear a mask for sanding by hand especially if indoors.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Am i wierd that i like the smell of antler when drilled:D Ive made many antler whistles in the past that turn out very well.

You should be able to core the middle out with a sharp knife,,the outer is much harder.
power tools are a bonus..

Must be a Yorkshire thing as I don't mind it either :)

Yeh stick with native type deer if you want to hollow it out as the marrow is much easier to cut/drill leaving a nice natural wall thickness. Solid stuff like reindeer is much harder to work.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I sawed through some Moose tip the other day to make a button. I was using a hacksaw and it was time consuming and tough work. There was no 'centre' to it, if you understand me, so it was all the dense 'outer' material. In the end that made for a stronger button!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
EDIT: Looked it up. I refuse to believe that without evidence.

You know people in China even sniff reindeer dust for some particular reason.

Some people in China and the far east believe that Rhino body parts are good for them, they don't believe in evidence so I wouldn't take it for granted

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE