Working on a gas bottle stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
I'm not any kind of welder so will be making a humble cookpot for the fire with my cylinder.

Yes, quick google search reveals some real horror stories of people just chopping into apparently empty cylinders. There is a hilarious youtube clip of some twit doing while smoking!

Hope you'll post something once you've fired this badboy up,

Cheers, T

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'll get some pics up next week when I get back to shore.

The flue is 4" chimney pipe found at the scrap yard. I figured this would be for the best as it's owner will be able to buy more pipe easily if he needs to.

It's very thing walled though so I might make a ring of steel and bolt it in rather than welding it on as I had originally planned.

Next on the list is another new forge which will hopefully get welded up before I go away offshore again.

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well ladies and gents as promised I'm back from offshore and the stove is now basically finished.

Fired it yesterday to burn off the paint and I can confirm there was some yellowing of the tank indicating galvanising.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

this morning I took a wire wheel to the whole tank to clean everything off. I couldn't find my gas mask which was a bit silly but fingers crossed I'll be fine. You can see a test section of the stove paint I used to paint it.

image.jpg

it got to some serious heat in the middle of the fire. 730 degrees according to my thermocouple. Plenty of heat getting chucked out.

After the clean up.

image.jpg

now at this point I had decided to forge a ring to attach the stove chimney. Trying to weld the pipe directly was not working. You'll have to take my word for it but forging the ring took no more than about 15 minutes. I used a section of the chimney to bend the ring around. Easy peasy.

With the ring welded on it was just a case of slotting in the pipe and painting it with stove paint.

Here it is all finished, with a smokey fire inside to check for leaks and to make sure it draws. Despite there being several gaps the stove seems to draw rather well. There will be at least another two sections of pipe fitted when it gets installed so I'm not concerned.

image.jpg

I haven't installed a baffle in the stove as yet. Would you recommend this?

thanks for having a look.

All the best
Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's looking excellent, also seems to be chucking out a good hear too. Would like to have the skills and tools to try and have a go myself. One day maybe.
Top job though, like it.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks Goatboy. Its the welding more than anything, the rest of the job is easily doable by anyone. I reckon you could bash one together easy enough without welding but your design would need to be spot on.

My welding is improving with the stick welder but it's still looking like bird poo.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE