Working axes

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
This is a bunch of axes used by stakers. Stakers are men who make their living staking claims for mining companies, with thousands of acres of land staked every year.
Claims vary in size but this work must be done to validate a claim.
These are Iltis Ox-Heads in various states of wear. Machetes are sometimes used for smaller bush but an axe is still required as well for most work.
These have a hard life as you can see.

IMG_0965.jpg

BMP-001 Staking
2. In an unsurveyed area, a claim shall be comprise of not less than 16, but not more than 6,000 hectares. The claim must be rectangular in shape and the length of the claim may not exceed six times its width.
In an unsurveyed area, a claim is acquired by ground staking. To stake a claim in an unsurveyed area, a post is erected at each corner, blazing trees, cutting underbrush, placing pickets or other appropriate methods delineate the outer boundaries, and the posts are marked with the required information. Metal tags, available from SIR must be affixed to the posts at the time of staking or within one year of the date of recording.
A squared corner post shall be erected at each of the four corners of the claim. The most northeasterly corner post shall be designated as "No. 1" and the claim is staked in a clockwise direction so that the most northwesterly corner post is designated as "No. 4". All boundary posts must be cut to the same dimensions as described below.
The process requires an individual to determine a compass bearing starting at the "No. 1" post. As the staker follows the compass bearing, he/she establishes the presence of the "claim line" by blazing larger trees on both sides of the tree in the direction of the claim line and places flags or cuts brush or bushes.
At every 500 metres, the staker must cut a boundary post. A tree may be cut off 1.2 meters above the ground to make a boundary post. The upper part of the post must be squared off so that the squared faces are perpendicular and parallel to the boundaries of the claim area. These posts must be large enough so that the squared face of the post is approximately 10 cm wide.
Boundary posts will be inscribed on the side of the post facing the next corner post in a clockwise direction from post "No. 1". The inscription must include the letters BP, the number from the tags located on the corner posts, the staker's name, the name of the company the claim is being staked for and the date and time the post was erected. The corner posts are identified with metals tags.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Looks very similar to the sort of pile of axes and other tools we used to have for volunteers with BTCV and National Trust. In the 80's insulation tape was commonly used to bind a worn or split handle and it did a very good job too. It became deemed bad practice since it stops you seeing what state the handle is in, OK if it's your own axe and you know what's inside but nor good if your mate picks it up and doesn't know.

That tape tended to be below the head where most failures occur rather than all the way down as on these axes.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
fascinating - why do they have tape on?

I suspect they have tape in different places because of so many different men using them, each person taping their axe according to their own preference for 'grip'.
I never asked anyone why specifically, so I'm guessing here in saying that, but I really can't see much use for tape except as an emergency repair or for overstrike protection below the head.
Btw, most men doing this work are Cree. Tough men doing a tough job on snowshoes in winter weather of all kinds, from brutal cold to melting temps. Then heat and bugs in the summer, soaking wet from crossing rivers and muskeg.
As I said, tough men.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE