wooohoooo! now I can start to get out more!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
well in the spirit of sharing, I thought I would show you some pictures of my leg and whats been going on, as im extatic!

well bqack in october, 12 weeks ago a dodgy tackle in P:E left me with shin or Tibia, sheered clean in half, bone marrow, the lot! my first reaction was to get up and play on and because of adrenaline and shock, I seemed ok. The teacher was hving non of it so I got some help to the changing rooms. them my leg started to hurt and shake uncontrollably. I got a lift to hospital from my parents and got given an X-ray and a cast. I got sent home with paracetamol and had a below leg cast, the wrong one! so hours later had to get an ambulace back, some gas and air, followed by a full leg cast and two nigts in hospital. I spent twelve weeks in plaster in total, and have to learn to wal again no, but im out! was quite pleased that I didnt cry at all, which was a change from when I dislocated my elbow when I was 9, as it meant no mockery at school, always good!

here are some pictures:

6 weeks in this:

image_zpsaa309c88.jpg
[/IMG]

3 weeks in this:

image_zpsbffe0dab.jpg
[/IMG]

3 weeks in this:

image_zps0ada6d5e.jpg
[/IMG]

and now this:

image_zps054c9339.jpg
[/IMG]

hooray! I did a lot of Bushcrafty stuff in 2013, but now I can get back to what i love, after learning to walk! just thought id share and hope to be doing trip reports galore when I can get back out there! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
And you've all that lovely new kit to try out as well mate.
dont over do it though as my mum broke her leg mid September and is still finding it achy when she does more than is wise.

glad ya on the mend

Cheers! Yeah, the physio said on crutches and some exercises but should be fighting fit again by the end of January early feburary! Looking forward to getting the kit out too! :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great news that your mobile again. You'll be excited to be roaming about again. It's amazing how quickly you loose muscle tone when you are laid up isn't it. You can see the difference between the two legs in the pictures. (One sparrow leg;)) - That can be your Indian name now!

So where is your first sojourn to be? Don't go mental on the first times out it takes a while to come back. And think of all that lovely Christmas loot you got (wonderful prezzies you lucky chap) that you can now get out and play with exciting stuff. Remember you have take pictures or it didn't happen as we're wont to say as our mantra on BCUK!

Good job on not crying - a true rugby player. (Though must admit to being near to tears when I dislocated my shoulders when playing but I manned up!) What position did you play anyway never asked before. I'm a very retired prop.

You may need a staff for support now, but that's always another collecting/making fetish to get into and can be quite enjoyable. I've a few staffs/stick that I've made/had made for me. Could be another thread starter for you like the brilliant tinder kit one (some great stuff in there). A stick can be useful for a lot of things besides walking support, grabbing stuff, tarp support, wading, depth gauge, weed whacker, fending off wild beasts in Northumberland!

I was actually thinking of yourself when I was reading through a graphic novel I got for Christmas, Mezolith; where a young mezolithic lad gets his leg injured while hunting a bull. Great book and the artwork is really immersive.

Good luck with the recovery, and looking forward to hearing of your daunders again.

ATB,
GB.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great progress mate. As others have said, now take it steady in what you do, as it will take time to regain strength and stamina in the limb. A friend of mine aged 17 has a dodgy ankle due to ligament damage from years ago, but he keeps overdoing it and re-injuring it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Congratulations :D and in good time for the light growing longer every day too :cool:

It's worth doing the physio to get back on your feet properly, but at your age, just being able to move freely again will help no end :)

Must feel a bit like Christmas again; all those toys and shinies you can play with now :D

atb,
M

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great news that your mobile again. You'll be excited to be roaming about again. It's amazing how quickly you loose muscle tone when you are laid up isn't it. You can see the difference between the two legs in the pictures. (One sparrow leg;)) - That can be your Indian name now!

So where is your first sojourn to be? Don't go mental on the first times out it takes a while to come back. And think of all that lovely Christmas loot you got (wonderful prezzies you lucky chap) that you can now get out and play with exciting stuff. Remember you have take pictures or it didn't happen as we're wont to say as our mantra on BCUK!

Good job on not crying - a true rugby player. (Though must admit to being near to tears when I dislocated my shoulders when playing but I manned up!) What position did you play anyway never asked before. I'm a very retired prop.

You may need a staff for support now, but that's always another collecting/making fetish to get into and can be quite enjoyable. I've a few staffs/stick that I've made/had made for me. Could be another thread starter for you like the brilliant tinder kit one (some great stuff in there). A stick can be useful for a lot of things besides walking support, grabbing stuff, tarp support, wading, depth gauge, weed whacker, fending off wild beasts in Northumberland!

I was actually thinking of yourself when I was reading through a graphic novel I got for Christmas, Mezolith; where a young mezolithic lad gets his leg injured while hunting a bull. Great book and the artwork is really immersive.

Good luck with the recovery, and looking forward to hearing of your daunders again.

ATB,
GB.

Cheers Colin! I will certainly be taking Lenny of pictures! Believe it or not it was football, not my choice thanks to P:E were not allowed to play rugby as its too violent and dangerous apparently, although we have played in the park before. A bushcraft crutch to source too! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great progress mate. As others have said, now take it steady in what you do, as it will take time to regain strength and stamina in the limb. A friend of mine aged 17 has a dodgy ankle due to ligament damage from years ago, but he keeps overdoing it and re-injuring it.

Cheers harvestman! I will be taking it fairly easy with maybe a day trip towards the end of January and an overnighters in the middle of February. Cheers for the kind words! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Congratulations :D and in good time for the light growing longer every day too :cool:

It's worth doing the physio to get back on your feet properly, but at your age, just being able to move freely again will help no end :)

Must feel a bit like Christmas again; all those toys and shinies you can play with now :D

atb,
M

Cheers! Certainly does feel like Christmas! The physio is actually really good, just daily exercises to do, and to move my knee and ankle often, and check ups so it should be loosening up soon! :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Phew! that sounds a roung time. Glad you're feeling a lot better now. Do take it easy as others have said, and I know about losing muscle tone! Do a bit of indoor exercise, like the stairs thing, right leg up a step, left leg up a step, right leg down a step, left leg down a step - it's dull but it works and you're inside and safe if you fall over :D. Maybe see you out and about later on ...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Phew! that sounds a roung time. Glad you're feeling a lot better now. Do take it easy as others have said, and I know about losing muscle tone! Do a bit of indoor exercise, like the stairs thing, right leg up a step, left leg up a step, right leg down a step, left leg down a step - it's dull but it works and you're inside and safe if you fall over :D. Maybe see you out and about later on ...

Thanks Elen! Have got some weird floor exercise to do and I will give the stairs a go, do do a fair bit of stairs as I've been at school for 9 weeks. Thanks for the great advice! :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great news, Cameron, well done mate; how many knitting needles/pencils/chopsticks were in the plaster when it came off? There was all sorts of stuff stuck down in mine where I'd lost 'em whilst scratching!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE