Wool cloaks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What a generous and helpful last post there toddy, thanks :cool:

ah go on then, stick my name down for one of the italian wool ones please......if you were gonna post a sample, you may as well post the whole cloak and have done with it :D

Let me know your prefered payment details and any other info needed and i'll sort it as soon as poss

Cheers.....adam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly. I'll pm details just in a minute :)
I need some measurements from you too, just to make sure it fits comfortably at shoulders/chest, etc.,

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thank you kindly. I'll pm details just in a minute :)
I need some measurements from you too, just to make sure it fits comfortably at shoulders/chest, etc.,

M

Great stuff

i'm 6ft tall and a 45 inch chest......no idea on the shoulders, i'm fairly broard, is it across the back measurement you need?
(can you tell i dont buy fitted clothing often :D )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's more round the entire shoulder area, and that compared to the neck and chest sizes that I need. That way the cloak will actually wrap round comfortably and not be all swishy hem but perishing cold and draughty round the upper body.

atb,
M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Hi Mary,

Ill take one please. I'll have the Italian one as first pick but if there are already two takers for that I'll take the British one.They are both black, right?

A couple of questions.
What is a tabby weave and why does the British wool require lining when the Italian does not. Is it a question of fabric weight, or density perhaps? How densely woven is the British cf the italian?

thanks,

Geraint.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks everyone for the input :D

I have sent samples to the first folks who asked. If they take it up then the fabric I have is sold.
If they don't decide to take up the offer then I'll contact the next folks down.

I can still buy the fabric. The wholesaler offered me the bolt but I was only making gaiters. I am so swamped just now though that sewing anything of more cloaks isn't going to happen. I will cut out though, and give clear guidelines on how to do it, though it's pretty obvious and straightforward.

The British wool is unfulled…not felted. It's a simple over under over under weave. That's Tabby, not twill. It will make a beautiful cloak, but I think it would be better lightly tailored, with a proper band collar that the hood and neckline and lining all fit into. Softer, more drape but very smart, iimmc.
The edges will fray; they will need either simple zigzag or binding…..the hem could easily be done with bias tape and just sewn up with that if the buyer doesn't want to line it.
Happy to send a sample.

Kind regards,
Mary

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Oi!….I'm too wee to be Darth Vader :D

Anyone else get an immediate mental image of Toddy when they read this? :D

sbcap1.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pattern making I can do…..it's why I got 'persuaded' to do these blooming redcoats. No patterns available (or really very peculiar ones) just the occasional tailor's draft and one museum taken from an extant very similar one….that turns out won't even fit my husband who has a 38" chest and 32" waist….I think that one must have survived 'cos it was made for a drummer boy or a boy soldier.

I'm lining this Cameron jacket just now, but I'll see what I can do when I'm done :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Adze….Drewdunnrespect (I miss that menace :) :sigh:) told GrahamS who knows me that he had a mental image of me as something like a 6'6" ex marine sergeant.
Graham laughed himself into a pretzel :D :D

M

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Now I've seen this (too late) I was actually thinking of getting the wool for a coat.

Is there still a link up for the Italian stuff?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Got my cloak yesterday. What a beautiful bit of wool it is too

Toddy say's she's thinking of getting the rest of the bolt if folks still wanted the italian wool. well, i would say if you were thinking about it or showed interest before then go for it.
mine will do me for sitting in a high seat all winter, around the campfire, or even as a blanket. Its a huge garment, the hem on mine is five meters long...yep, meters! But still not very heavy to wear....I was gonna take a pic of it spread out outside but its been chucking it down today

I'v made a right job for myself getting carried away with modding it. But they can be made perfectly wearable without too much work
As toddy said you could get away without even hemming it and just close it with some sort of a brooch or fit a simple toggle

and of course you get to deal with mary.....a treat in itself :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you sunndog, and I'm really pleased that you're happy with yours. I would love to see what you do with it to finish it. I know that it's a beautiful wool and I know that the pattern I made works really well, but everybody changes their own details.

Any questions or problems, just pm and I'll do what I can to help :)

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE