Wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Has anyone ever tried sleeping out with a couple of wool blankets instead of your sleeping bag?

I'm just looking through my copy of Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart from 1942, and have come across something interesting.

He didn't rate the sleeping bags of the day at all and much preferred sleeping wrapped in two 3lb wool blankets (which were warmer than one 6lb blanket trapping air), especially made from camel hair as it's warmer for the weight ratio according to him.

These could be waterproofed in an anhydrous lanolin/benzine mixture. Though I think the modern version would be lanolin/99% isopropyl alcohol with benzine being carcinogenic.

I do have a Swedish Naval officers wool overcoat which I wear in winter which is very warm, and I used to have an old war great coat which was even too warm to wear in winter in the UK. I did wear it in Tallinn once in winter which worked nicely in -10C, though some old lady there thought I was a Russian soldier and started shouting at me!

Anyway unfortunately I've checked the price of camel hair blankets and they're sky high. It looks like the Baktarian camels live in Siberia and China amongst other places, so it might be a case of popping over there for a holiday to get a couple for a sensible price. :)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Some of us are old enough to have started camping, mainly in the back garden,using a "sleeping bag" made of a blanket and blanket pins. I quickly moved on to a kapok filled sleeping bag (from Millets IIRC ) and the improvement was a quantum leap. Believe me, Kapok is absolute rubbish compared with modern synthetic fillings A couple of years ago I bought in a sale a -5 deg C bag which weighs less than 4 lbs (much less than 2 kilos) for$35. You would pay more than that for a useless blanket, never the outrageous price of Hudson blankets which may be a little better. If you must be traditional, use,as the Vikings did a 1000 years ago or so, a duvet. Although you will have difficulty getting one in a linen casing. A good down bag will probably be half the price of a Hudson blanket, (with better performance and bemuuch,much lighter). I recently bought two down filled throws for $20 each. Thay are 1/2lb each (1/4 kilo) and a single one makes a top quilt with footbox good to about 50Deg F. Combine two will probably be good to 40F (~5C) at 1 lb (1/2 kilo) and $40. Combined with a decent pad. doing the same with blankets will probably be 4 times the weight, and 3-4 times the cost. Your wool military coat may be quite good, but think of the weight. I, as a kid, had a wool dufflle coat, which was the UK equivalent of your navalcoat. I now use a synthetic "puffy" coat which a about a quarter the weight and more effective and much less expensive than a wool coat these days.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Occasionally use one when weight isn't an issue (car camping), or in the summer when less warmth (to weight) is needed. Especially if planning to sleep out by a fire as they cope fine with the heat and sparks that would destroy at synthetic bag.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
There is something nice about using wool blankets. I use one and a wool hoody and it is good enough for the warmer months. Just remeber though, back then it was feasible for a camperto cut enoug lumber for a long log fire to last all night. There aren't too many places where a ln educated and caring bushcrafter would do that these days.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I actually prefer wool blankets now. I started using them inside my Wynnchester Adventure Bag so that I could take advantage of the whole space. I'm not keen on being confined by a bag so blankets men I can stick a leg out if I get too hot.

Basha, tarp, lavvu, or tent keeps you dry. Wool has great thermal qualities even damp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Tried wool blankets both during winter and recently and I will stay away from them from now on. As far as I am concerned the idealized, romanticized feeling has been put to rest permanently.
As does the legend regarding Swedish army blankets.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Tried wool blankets both during winter and recently and I will stay away from them from now on. As far as I am concerned the idealized, romanticized feeling has been put to rest permanently.

Why Ron?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Has anyone ever tried sleeping out with a couple of wool blankets instead of your sleeping bag?

:)

Hi JamPan, I too am not a fan of sleeping bags either, due to constriction...

Not wool but still thinking blankets/modular system, how about best of both, old fashioned style meets modern materials & I think versatile & reasonably priced too...

Pda1 mentioned "blankets & blanket pins" these pins would be a useful addition for me I am going to take that idea & have ordered 20 X 3" blanket pins from ebay thanks Pda1

I've been trying these:~ Elite Evolution Improved US-Army Style Poncho in British Woodland DPM Camo

(if camo is not your thing they do also come in other plain colours)

I've only used one blanket/poncho linner tied together as a short & wide sleeping bag, a couple of times, on top of a highlander Zmat, & so far I am impressed (not cold or constricted) I recently bought another poncho liner to give me more options for colder conditions not tried 2 together yet!

Based on the classic US-Army design but made from superior lightweight Rip-Stop Polyester material that is highly water resistant and durable. Supplied with a matching Rip-Stop Stuff Sack that greatly reduces bulk. This highly versatile piece of kit has many uses, both military & civilian:

Military: Can be tied to the shoulders and used as a blanket, can be added to a Poncho to create a lightweight, waterproof sleeping bag. The camouflage finish means that it can also provide concealment when required.

Civilian: Makes for an excellent picnic blanket which does not collect grass and can be quickly cleaned by just a quick shake. The quilted design provides better levels of comfort compared to tradition picnic blankets. Compact enough to be kept in the car for use as an emergency blanket to provide warmth. Will also be of appeal to informed hikers, walkers, airsofters, etc...

Each Poncho-Liner Features:

Ultra lightweight yet very warm 863g or (1.14 lbs. &3/8 oz) .
Made of 100% Polyester Rip-Stop material.
Can be used as a sleeping bag liner or a blanket.
Supplied with matching Rip-Stop Stuff Sack with pull cord
206 x 160 cm. or (6.7' X 5.2')

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Army-GI-R...id=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&mehot=ag&sd=191550303606

They can be used in several configurations to form either a ..... single or double thickness, double or single size, narrow & long or short & wide sleeping bag or simply used as bed blankets or picnic blankets. I can't comment on waterproof or water resistant etc but there's plenty room both width & length wise I am a short ar$e at 5' 4" & 150lbs...

UPDATE:~ With the "Supplied matching Rip-Stop Stuff Sack" you can comfortably fit 2 blanket/poncho liners in the same Stuff Sack further reducing bulk.... see pictured with the US GI canteen for size comparison when packed....

35403476176_9cb65b9cb4_z.jpg

Last edited:

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Well, I have been aiming to give it a go for the first time in the near future. It's getting cold here at night, but it's never that near freezing so I'm sure I will survive. I like the idea of having something that can keep you warm when its wet, and won't go up in smoke with if you lay next to a fire in it.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
here's my buddy Andreas from Sweden doing it

[video=youtube;mJ4-kzxr00o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4-kzxr00o[/video]

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Way to heavy and bulky, unless you don't need to plan to carry the stuff somewhere. In the old days, they used the best they had. Why wouldn't you want to use the best which is available now, other than reenactment purposes. (Which can ofcource be a totally valid hobby in itself ;) )

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Certainly not ultralight hiking with my bushcraft kit.
If I have a base camp I'm not too fussed about a bit of bulk or weight. The skill is being comfortable wherever I choose to pitch up.

Wool blankets allow me to regulate my temperature, I don't have that scratchy zippy noise to disturb me and they breath a lot better than a nylon bag. Like canvas there is a comfort to wool.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Swedish army blankets must be a historic item.
They were not used in the field for an awful long time. They were used as part of the bedding in the Regiments. Indoors on a bed.

Woolen blankets are warm. But there is a reason the sleeping bag was invented.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Why Ron?

Because I froze both times.
Now I must say that the blankets I used were nowhere near the fluffy blankets I am used to. These were thin and very compacted/felted, so not much room to trap air and insulate.
I did sell my Dutch blankets (idiot that I am) and they were much fluffier. I do think that with a flannel liner and an canvas outer shell they'd do very well, but then we are talking a sleepingbag-like construction and heavy and bulky to boot.
But for someone who, like me, can not use synthetic bags it should be an option for sure.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I recently bought an Inverness cape from Ebay, I could probably curl up and go to sleep in that anywhere, but of course I won't as it is far too fine a garment for rough use. Can't wait for a bit of inclement winter weather to try it out in :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sounds like you got the old horse blankets........
Fluffy? No, hard. And heavy.
They lasted for decades.

Those were indeed used indoors. Was fun to teach the boys the proper way to do the beds. A one krona coin had to bounce when dropped.

Last edited:

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Looks like a good bit of debating going on here. Alan has some interesting ideas. I'm still intrigued by a lightweight fluffy Camel hair blanket to see how it compares to my wool blankets I use on the home bed. I think next time me and the wife go 'civilised' camping in the big tent, as she's not one for tarps and fires. I think I'll take both wool blankets to make up a double camp bed and see how it does in an easy environment.

There is woollen mill in Pudsey which I've had dealings before for making products, so there's always the idea they either have something fluffy and durable, or could definitely make something to suit, though I expected that'd involve a massive run of cloth.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I think next time me and the wife go 'civilised' camping in the big tent, as she's not one for tarps and fires.

Hi jamPan Feeling your pain on that one! With the Pudsey plan I am sure you will be as warm as a couple of camels in a tent!

If you are interested I've updated my post (#8) to include a pic of 2 blanket/poncho liners when packed together!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE