Wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont like sleeping bags at all.

I have a down quilt on top of an old wool batting one on a camp bed.

But I have used a wool blanket in the summer. not lightweight though.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I think there's a bit of generalization going on here, not all wool blankets are equal and the same goes for sleeping bags.

In terms of sleeping bags I tend not to like the lightweight mummy style ones with the "silky" outer, but i like the "caravan style" ones that are square and made of a nicer to touch material. The trade off is that they are more bulkier and heavier.

http://www.towsure.com/sunncamp-turning-single-sleeping-bag

Wool blankets you have the same scenario, the looser thread ones seem to be warmer but again bulkier and more costly.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I must say, I much prefer a Wool blanket.
If im packing light, in the mountains for example, I use a Rab down sleeping bag.
If I'm at a permission, running courses, with a basecamp. Give me a quality wool blanket any day.
Not all blankets are equal.
The Knapp, weave, wool, weight, all play a part. Loose fluffy blankets, trap more heat. Dense tightly woven, or felted, keep the wind out better.
A good option is to use two blankets. One fluffy, on top of you, and a lighter tightly woven one over that to keep out the wind, and stop the process of convection.
The Swiss Army blanket is a wool mix. It looks fabulous, and very traditional. It cant compete with the 100% wool military blanket's.
The Italian Army Officers blanket is absolute quality. As is the Yugoslavian.
Some of the bed civilian ones are..
Whitney
Johnathan Atkinson
Filson
Hainsworth
Hudson Bay point blanket.
The Hudson Bay company blanket, is the creme of the crop.
A good blanket should probably weigh over 4lbs, upwards to 8lb
Everyone has different comfort levels, and that's the beauty of wool blanket's for me, they has a far greater comfort range than a sleeping bag . Also far more versatile, with a magnitude of uses.
Then you get to different types of wool.
Bison.
Musk ox
Quiviut.
Camel
Alpaca.
Merino.
Il stop before I start to ramble on. Yep I do like wool blankets ��

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
If you are interested I've updated my post (#8) to include a pic of 2 blanket/poncho liners when packed together!
It looks like you've packed that down pretty small. Looks easily portable. :)

Ammo, two different blanket styles actually make sense.

I'm definitely going to give it a go.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have made a couple of wool items now and here is my pennys worth.

We need to remember not all blankets are the same some are a nice tight weave and thick making them better suited as a sleeping bag .

A lot of people seem to get hung up on the 100% wool thing in my opinion it dont matter if there is a bit of mix it make the blanket a bit more robust and there a lot easier to get hold of ..

One of the main reasons we like wool is the fact that it breaths making it very comfortable if you can live with a bit of an itch every now and then , plus there is an antibacterial aspect .

Another thing that keeps us warm in wool is not having it to tight fitting it then holds air but billows away damp air ,,A lot of people nowaday dont like loose clothes .

On the downside becouse it breaths it radiates heat when we sleep and its not windproof the way round this again in my opinion is a lightweight tight weave cotton sheet being windproof and breathable it will improve the comfort level, if its hot throw it open.

Dont forget some sort of insulation below the blankets

Another thing the quest for green blankets is a hard path to follow as there are not many about .

We get hung up on the weight of blankets but when people used them in the past they used pack animals and carts ,, so an extra couple of blankets would be carried in the winter months on the cart for when needed .

I also think if you go down this route to get the best out of the wool system go the whole hog ,,all wool trousers , shirts jackets with a cotton or waxed outer for the wind and rain..

Twodogs

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE