Wool blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Hi,
Does anyone know a good place to get a large army style wool blanket?
Have tried a few places including endicotts everywere seems to be sold out.

Was looking for one to put in the back of the car as the weather is getting a bit chilly, especially on the way up the A9 to aviemore last week. Blizzard conditions was dreading the snow gates would be closed hence the need for a blanket.

Has anyone been to the green loch up there (loch Uaine) and do you know why its green?
Will post some pics when i get the camera it was all nice and frozen over.

Thanks,
Stu

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
The Outdoors in Essex have them in a nice dark green 'bout the same colour as a swannie for £10! Just google them they should show up. They have cream army blankets too and these are slightly thicker. The green "landrover" blankets are about the same thickness as a swannie bushshirt and could be used for clothing too! No connection.......etc.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Stu, I have a spare one if you want it and I am not that far away from you so you could pick it up no problem or I could meet up somewhere if you prefer. PM me if interested.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yes, there usually are a number listed on ... evil-bay ... at any one time. Prices/quality vary a lot, and so does shipping.

Here in the US, there are usually some pretty good deals at places like Cheaper-Than-Dirt and Sportsmans Guide. They both have catalogs and web sites. Don't know if they ship overseas, but there should be similar companies near you. Most countries have several versions of military surplus stores.

I keep several wool blankets behind the seat in my pickup truck year round. And I've used them in every season of the year. One is a green US army blanket, and the other is a purple household wool blanket. Hey, what else do you do with an odd color wool blanket?

And I also have an insulated coverall with stocking cap and sheepskin mittens rolled up an stashed behind the seat as well. I'm kind of surprised that more people don't think about and use an insulated coverall or insulated bib overalls. Working on the farm or construction, we use them all the time. And also spend ALL DAY outside in them working. They can be a bit ... bulky, but staying warm is far better! I guess they just don't have the sex-appeal of a Ski Suit or snowmobiling suit! (or the form-fitting tailoring with racing stripes)

Plus a pair of pull-on rubber boots or overshoes also behind the seat. If I am on the road when we have snow, I usually have rubber boots on anyway. But there is an extra pair behind or under the seat in the pickup. Plus several pairs of gloves. I've had a surprising number of friends out in winter who did not bring along any gloves at all. So I usually have extras along.

Good luck in your search. And do check out those second-hand stores and charity shops. And don't worry too much about color. Having a weird pink or purple wool blanket along is better than none!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. We had freezing rain/sleet this afternoon/evening, and are supposed to get 3 to 8 inches of snow overnight. The winter storm warning runs through till 6 p.m. tomorrow with an addition 1 to 3 inches more snow. And another storm to hit here Friday/Saturday. Rah rah!

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
I d give mike a +2 on the Insulated coveralls or bibs. I keep a pair of the brown duck insulated bibs in my truck all year. I have slepth in them more than once think of them as a mid weight sleeping bag or a blanket that doesn't slip off.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
And all out of stock Redandshane, good deal on the bashas too.
Ebay is looking likely althogh the postage is a bit expensive, probally due to the weight I would imagine.
Looks like I'll need to nip away from work at lunch time to the nearest surplus store and see if they have any in yet, if not ebay it is.
Thanks for the replies,
Stu

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
The Outdoors in Essex have them in a nice dark green 'bout the same colour as a swannie for £10! Just google them they should show up. They have cream army blankets too and these are slightly thicker. The green "landrover" blankets are about the same thickness as a swannie bushshirt and could be used for clothing too! No connection.......etc.

where in essex is this shop mike thanks

Wouldnt mind one myself.. However, they are heavy. Wouldnt consider taking one until I can lighten my bergen a bit! Think they would be good to use as a seat, with maybe a bin bag to stop it getting wet.
I always seem to end wishing I'd taken something to sit on when out on a bimble!
Plus they look cool rolled and tied to the top of your pack.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Cheers Rod, one on the way from strikeforce and a few other pieces of kit that i don't need but i ordered anyway (that allways happens :) )

Thanks all,
Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE