Wool Blanket Bushshirt (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Hi guys, iv finally pulled my finger out and got the misses and her handy camera work, out into the woods for a Photo shoot :D

I wont bore you all to death about how i made it and all that lark.. Ill just explain what i did and why. Hope you enjoy!!..

If you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Right to start things off the main reason i wanted to have a bash at making a bush smock was for the same reasons everyone elts wants one.. Great in winter/cold environment, great insulator, fire retardant, semi water proof, robust and finally too naturally blend in a bit better i think.

I started off with a BELGIAN / DUTCH 100% WOOL BLANKET, purchased from an army surplus shop in York for the grand total of £14.
First thoughts were A, it stinks B, it was very heavy and thick, and C, how the hell am i going to make this into a garment?..

Well, i did and it turned out better than i had hoped! The only problem i have with it is, its slightly too big for me. So i intend to make another with some different ideas in the near future!

Hope you enjoy and feel free to let me no what you think good or bad!

(I wanted to keep the design very basic with everything hidden.)

DSC_7353.jpg

Excuse the shady tash, its a poor attempt at Movember! All in good faith..

DSC_7360.jpg

To keep the wool from fraying after use and time, i edged all parts that were vulnerable with soft brown leather and lime green thread to match the original over locking thread at either end of the blanket. (painstaking)

DSC_7362.jpg

DSC_7358.jpg

DSC_7370.jpg

(I kept the slits on the side high so i can access my pockets with ease.)

I didnt want any visible pocket on the smock, mainly because everything i ordinarily have on ME in the bush already has its place, for exaple my knife, i always carry it on my belt were i no it will stay dry/more protected. But if i ever did need to carry.. Axe, fire kit, i could always have them on the external belt.

I made a small hidden kangaroo pouch for the front were i could keep tinder, bits and bobs, gloves if needed.

DSC_7376.jpg

DSC_7377.jpg

.... and a poachers pocket on the rear that also acts as a doubled up part covering the gluteus maximus for when you sit down on damp ground! (dont want piles creaking up on you! ;D)

DSC_7378.jpg

DSC_7400.jpg

For the cuffs i wanted to keep them long, so i could always roll them over mittens or just to keep my hands warm at night!

I managed to keep the overlock for a bit of patina and once rolled up iv used some old cuff-links and some cord to tighten them around the wrist.

DSC_7386.jpg

DSC_7387.jpg

Next i made a scarf out of some of the left overs. Its doubled up for warmth and slides over my head.

DSC_7395.jpg

DSC_7403.jpg

And Finally im guessing your wondering why i didn't included a hood.. well, the reason why is purely because im almost always wearing a cowboy hat and they dont really work together.. BUT if i wanted to i could attack a hood like so..

DSC_7430.jpg

DSC_7411.jpg

DSC_7435.jpg

Cheers,

cowboy

Last edited:

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Tar fellas, i really enjoyed doing it! :) Cant wait to get cracking on the next! Ill be chopping up an Italian blanket next.. :/

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Looks pukka :) really like that :)
Any idea where you can get patterns for something similar (not the same as that one is unique to you)
ATB Jono

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Thanx TeeDee!

Jono, all i did mate was got a jacket that fitted me, measured arm pit to arm pit, neck to were i wanted it near my knee and arm length! I made my template from those measurement on brown wrapping paper then adjusted them to suit what i wanted to do! You can make them as pimple or advanced as you wish!! :) hope that helps..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE