Woody Question

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Going out next weekend and intend to make my first kuksa!
We have a lot of Yew in the woods hereabouts and so I want to make it out of that because Yew is a gorgeous wood.
But.
Is Yew wood poisonous? Anyone else made a Yew kuksa?

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I believe the wood is not poisonous IIRC it is just the foliage & the fruit pits that are.

I've made some handles with Yew & it takes a lovely finish & a toffee like translucency when soaked in oil.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Does anyone know of a website that says what woods are poisonous (as opposed to the foliage and fruit)?
Mmm...that kind of database would be a real asset to BCUK, and I'm sure users would appreciate having access to it.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Going out next weekend and intend to make my first kuksa!
We have a lot of Yew in the woods hereabouts and so I want to make it out of that because Yew is a gorgeous wood.
But.
Is Yew wood poisonous? Anyone else made a Yew kuksa?
the poison is found in all parts of Yew except for the fleshy fruit( the red bit) the seed in side has poison

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got a Yew quaich (Scottish drinking bowl with two handles, for sharing ) and according to the woodturners who made it the wood is perfectly safe to drink from. Hope they're right, we've been using it at Meets :D

cheers,
Toddy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...what a dilemma. You see, my thought was that once the wood had dried out then most of the sap (presumably the main toxin carrier) would be gone. Mmm...
I could make one from yew anyway, knowing too full well that the first attempt always goes wrong anyway...

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There is no question taxin, the toxin in yew is found in the wood and it is quite nasty, ever wondered why a yew post lasts so long in the ground? It is in the wood not just the sap so drying makes little difference, now when you drink from it how much taxin are you going to absorb? I can't tell you perhaps more if you use your quaich for whisky?

My take on it is I would be quite happy eating from a yew spoon myself but I do not make yew items for sale and the woodturners who made your quaich Toddy would be on pretty dodgy ground if you started showing symptoms of taxin poisoning.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
So, come one then - what's the best wood for making a Kuksa out of?
Those hawthorn ones in Hedgehog's thread look really nice.
I want to get it right. Good colour, distinctive grain, easy to carve...
What would you use?

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
So, come one then - what's the best wood for making a Kuksa out of?
Those hawthorn ones in Hedgehog's thread look really nice.
I want to get it right. Good colour, distinctive grain, easy to carve...
What would you use?

I made my first Kuska out of a Rowen tree that came down a year or so ago. Made a shed load of new spoons as well!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I was always led to believe that the Yew was one of the most toxic plants on the planet.

This quote:
"Even the dust of yew wood can be toxic; anyone working with yew should ensure the area is well ventilated and wear a respirator."

comes from this site: http://biology.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_survival_of_yew_trees_in_britain

I've made bowls in yew in the past but they tended to be for decorative rather than functional purposes.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
w00dsmoke you are correct as is Robin.
The guy that taught me most about woodturning had been turning the stuff for the majority of his working life, he died of throat cancer.
It will take a long time to be affected by the Yew wood unless you are susceptible to it, however it will harm you, eventually.
Personally I think Yew is best suited to bow making as opposed to bowl making ;-)

Nov 13, 2008
Gdynia
Hi,
this is my first post and my english is not perfect but I hope understandable.
I have been taught that Yew is seriously poison even small green branch eaten by adult person can kill him. Few years ago I was in Ukraine.
The guide told us in Crimean botanic garden that there was the way of making poisonous wine by leaving it in bowl made from Yew in old tzar Russia. Wine had not change the tast and poisoned dead person had no signs that poison had been used.
Cheers,
Nothria

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE