Woods - 10-4-2012 Lots of pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Youngest and I enjoyed another day in our woods today, eldest was supposed to be coming with us, but at the last minute he had to go to school to complete some of his GCSE course work, as i told him, the woods will be there at the weekend, your course work is one hit deal and you only get one chance at it, the woods can wait.

So a few pictures from the day

Walking in

DSCN4507.jpg

Once we got to our spot and had brewed up, we set about making ourselves a little luxury with the fallen Oak, youngest boring the holes with the auger

DSCN4511.jpg

DSCN4514.jpg

then he hammered some Hazel pegs in

DSCN4515.jpg

and then we hung our bags up off of the wet ground

DSCN4518.jpg

This was something ive been meaning to do for a little while and today i remembered to take the auger with us, it means we can get our gear out of the mud and/or hang our jackets on, rather than lay them over a wet log.

After another brew it was time to play silly boogers with my tarp as we wanted to try a few different set ups for use with the hammocks, the tarp is a 3x3 Tatonka

DSCN4519.jpg

DSCN4524.jpg

DSCN4526.jpg

time for another brew and youngest bent down to tie his boot lace, looked up and saw this Hornet right in front of his eyes.

DSCN4538.jpg

DSCN4560.jpg

Capture2.jpg

It was fairly placid and eventually it climbed out of the knot hole and flew away, a magnificent creature.

Look down at camp

DSCN4550.jpg

Time for lunch, Noodles with added Hawthorn leaves for a touch of colour.

DSCN4562.jpg

DSCN4571.jpg

arty shot - sunlight through the leaves

DSCN4580.jpg

Same leaves from above, anyone know what they are, i know by the way, just seeing if anyone else out there does, not an overly common tree in the immediate area any longer unfortunately.

DSCN4581.jpg

Collected myself some Cherry from a fallen branch, it was a bit punky on the ends where it had snapped off, but the pieces pictured are sound as a pound and are now in my wood pile.

DSCN4586.jpg

Made myself a couple of new bows from Hazel for some Bow drill stuff i have coming up soon

DSCN4588.jpg

Youngest enjoying his hammock

DSCN4592.jpg

Shortly after this we packed up and wandered down to the farm and watched the new born lambs and had a good old chin wag with the farmer and generally put the world right between us.

Quality day with quality company as always.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Lovely pictures and account as always Kepis , weather looked kind too, my guess is hornbeam ? along with whitebeam was used to sterilise surgical instruments , many years ago ( along with other white hearted woods )

Thanks for posting

Ivan...

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely pictures and account as always Kepis , weather looked kind too, my guess is hornbeam ? along with whitebeam was used to sterilise surgical instruments , many years ago ( along with other white hearted woods )

Thanks for posting

Ivan...

Smack on with Hornbeam Ivan, it's a pity that there are not too many around here, there is a small Hornbeam plantation up behind home and the odd solitary tree here and there, but thats about it, shame as they are lovely trees.

The weather was very kind to use today, we were supposed to get hail and thunder, but the sun shine on us all day, when we went home though the roads were wet less than half a mile from the woods, yet we saw nothing of the showers.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The hornbeams in my area are not in leaf yet, though it looks imminent.

Great pics as usual, and I now realise that I need an auger :)

Question. Do you have much elm or wych elm in your wood? Last year was the first year that I started to notice wych elm, and now I realise that it is absolutely everywhere around here, but proper elm is extremely scarce. Just interested in regional variations.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
oh yes, you need an auger, i got mine from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTCH-EY...210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19cf0a29f2 got it ages ago and use it all the time for all manner of different jobs.

There is no Elm in these woods unfortunately, but around home we have both proper Elm & Wych Elm in abundance, although since the disease control area was expanded there has been a lot of felling going on, the Estate are only removing dead, dying or damaged trees and there are plenty of saplings to take the place of the older trees, sure it's shocking to see all these trees go, but it has to be done otherwise there would none left at all, at least this way, despite the initial shock and devastation of the area, the younger trees are now getting some light the 'damage' will soon repair itself with young healthy trees once mother nature takes control, as ive told some of the townies around here, it has to be done to save what we have and in a couple of years time, they will see the benefits of what has been done.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks for the quick reply. Will have to get my paypal account unfrozen before I can use eBay again. annoying, since they locked it for purely arbitrary reasons.

Anyway, enough of that. Got to take the dog for a late night walk.

Thanks again.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hey Mark great to see you're still getting out with the kids. Lovely photos mate.

Hope you are all keeping well?

Cheers Andy, everyone is doing well here, how's tricks with you and yours?

Will have to meet up again at some point, it's been too long.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Great to hear!
Yeah really good thanks pal. Work is going well and really enjoying things at the moment. Really lucky I guess.

Indeed. Later in the season I'll try and arrange a get together if you don't mind the journey down to hampshire?

Sent from my phone.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i dont mind a trip West, let me know where and when and if im not working/booked up, i should be good to go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE