Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I booked myself onto a Woodlore Camp craft course in September 2007 just wondering if anyone else on here is going pretty slim chance but it would be nice to know someone else when I get there.

Mitch

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I'm taking my Dad on the Fundamental Bushcraft Course in August

Phil.

Hi phil

Is it the 29th july -5th august one you are referring to?

sandbender said:
You will have a fantastic time! watch out for the weather though, I went to sleep on a beautiful clear night to be woken at 04:00 by a river washing my campsite away :)

Some pics from my Ardeche trip...

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewrush/ardeche/ardeche.html

Hi sandbender,

Looks wonderful - something I'd love to do in the future.

How long did you journey take?

Cheers,

Phil.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
News to me! I bumped into her at the RM lecture in January and she didn't mention it.....any news welcome as I thought she was great!

richanddavis said:
I had to write on here,as I did finally meet the lady who ran the UK fundamental courses last year,but have just heard that she has got the push from Woodlore?Is this true?.I and the other students thought she was an ace Instructor,very sad to hear she will not be about now.Ray Mears has lost a loyal team member.Anyone know why?Netty did a hell of alot of work.Where is she now?
Rich

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Erm... I'm not too comfortable with a company's personnel issues being
discussed on a public forum... :confused:

Perhaps I am a bit prudish though.

I quite fancy that Fundamental one but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to
expect the experience would be spectacularly immersive, transformative
and all those other -ive words, so would undoubtedly make up for it :)

A friend of mine did one of their courses (not sure which) and she had
a fab time.

Jo

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Erm....I'm not sure I was talking about a company's personnel issues, but about a dear friend....? :eek: Apologies if this caused concern....

There were a couple of ladies on the course I did last May. Even the instructors said it was the wettest course they'd ever done and it was harder because of the weather but we all managed to get through the week. Even Ray Mears turned up and told us "Don't let the rain get into your head."....only later that week did I truly understand what he meant! :D

Trust me when I say that it's worth easily more than TEN times the amount of TV you could ever imagine. I really didn't want to come back and could have easily spent another week (ok, maybe after a wash and a change of clothes!) out in the woods. It was certainly the most rewarding week I've ever experienced in my life, full stop. :rolleyes:

Go on, you know you want to!! :D

Phil

Jodie said:
Erm... I'm not too comfortable with a company's personnel
issues being
discussed on a public forum... :confused:

Perhaps I am a bit prudish though.

I quite fancy that Fundamental one but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to
expect the experience would be spectacularly immersive, transformative
and all those other -ive words, so would undoubtedly make up for it :)

A friend of mine did one of their courses (not sure which) and she had
a fab time.

Jo

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
PhilParry said:
I'm off on the Ardeche trip May 6th-12th with Woodlore

The best way to get to Vallon Pont D'Arc is via SNCF, although there isn't a train to the town SNCF run a bus service in rural France, so if you fly to Lyon or Paris, you will be able to purchase a ticket at the station that covers travel to Montelimar by train and the onward bus journey to Vallon Pont D'Arc.

Lyon Perrache to Vallon Pont D'Arc will cost you about €30.

You can walk from the town to the camp site where the course is run from, however it's a bit hairy in parts with no pedestrian route through a tunnel.

The local taxi at Vallon Pont D'Arc is Taxi Gillot

04 75 88 05 39
04 75 88 00 27

Of course if its a Sunday, or a Monday, or a Saints day, or a France is great and the rest of the world is rubbish day, or if your French isn't up to speed, or he's had a heavy night, then he probably wont be working.

:)

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
If anyone is thinking about going on a Woodlore course I would say do it their courses are very well run and very informative. The thing is that you dont want to leave at the end. The idea of staying at the camp with all the new friends youve made is hard to walk away from. Only problem is that there booked a year in advance most of the time. Cant wait till september for the camp craft week.

Mitch

Should see about getting a group of BCUK member on one course.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Thanks Sandbender,

I'm driving down as I've got another week in the Auvergne (where my mother was born) before hand. I had a Great Aunt in Le Puy-en-Velay - she was a nun there. Made more lace than I've ever seen!! The walk looks lovely too.

Phil

sandbender said:
The best way to get to Vallon Pont D'Arc is via SNCF, although there isn't a train to the town SNCF run a bus service in rural France, so if you fly to Lyon or Paris, you will be able to purchase a ticket at the station that covers travel to Montelimar by train and the onward bus journey to Vallon Pont D'Arc.

Lyon Perrache to Vallon Pont D'Arc will cost you about €30.

You can walk from the town to the camp site where the course is run from, however it's a bit hairy in parts with no pedestrian route through a tunnel.

The local taxi at Vallon Pont D'Arc is Taxi Gillot

04 75 88 05 39
04 75 88 00 27

Of course if its a Sunday, or a Monday, or a Saints day, or a France is great and the rest of the world is rubbish day, or if your French isn't up to speed, or he's had a heavy night, then he probably wont be working.

:)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
richanddavis said:
Shame Juha and Netty willnot be there,they were two of the old Woodlore school teachers.Who is leading the Campcraft now?

What happend to Juha thought he still took the craftwork course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE