Woodlore selling knife blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I see on the woodlore site they are now selling hand forged knife blades..

This knife was recently featured in Ray's latest series Bushcraft Survival Series 2 Sweden. Hand forged by Julius Pettersson.

apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere...

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Julius Pettersson was recently featured in one of RM's programmes where it showed how he forged a laminated blade, fasinating stuff. It also showed RM making a handle for his new knife.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I bought a Brusletto blade from Brisa for much less - not handmade though.

Brisa also sell Finnish Lauri blades for just a few euros each - although I have not tried them myself I hear good things about them. Not everyone is into knifemaking but they are so cheap that many might be tempted to have a go, on the grounds that you've not wasted much cash if you mess it up.

Anyone tried them?

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I recently picked up a 63mm Lauri Carbon PT (progressive tempered) blade from Brisa, who incidentally have as good service as everybody says. I haven't got round to putting a handle on it yet, but it's looks like a quality piece of work. It took a piece out of my block of handle wood without the slightest trouble, and the centre being hardened to 63 rockwells should make it a great little knife for detailed work/ whittling, or whatever, and will compliment my bigger mora well.

leon-1

Doc said:
I bought a Brusletto blade from Brisa for much less - not handmade though.

Brisa also sell Finnish Lauri blades for just a few euros each - although I have not tried them myself I hear good things about them. Not everyone is into knifemaking but they are so cheap that many might be tempted to have a go, on the grounds that you've not wasted much cash if you mess it up.

Anyone tried them?

Doc, I quite like the Finnish Lauri blades, this is one I prepared earlier:D
P1010098_Small_.JPG

The only thing that I would say about them is that they can be very prone to rust, alhough this particular one seems to be pretty good, the other option is that they make stainless.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
That is stunning work.

The PT blades are very hard (like some Rosellis) -if not too brittle could be very good indeed.

Looking at Brisa I see a carbon 9.5cm Lauri blade is 6.1 euros and a block of grade 1 curly birch 3.5 euros.

Hand made top quality scandi knife for £6.50 plus effort.......hmm.....vague thoughts of a group buy?

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
leon-1 said:
Interesting cork handle.:p ...or is that a birch burl table mat I see? ;) :D

Seriously though, nice knife :cool:, and I might have to have a go at the above prices. SWMBO may kill me if I don't finish the bathroom first though. :( :eek: :rolleyes:

Eh? :confused: What's that? Too many smilies? :eek: I haven't used this one yet:: :)

leon-1

Povarian said:
Interesting cork handle.:p ...or is that a birch burl table mat I see? ;) :D

The handle is Afzelia burl, but I must admit that it works well with the cork matt:D, the rest of it is nickel silver ferrule and spacers with buffalo horn. The blade is the PT95. It's also the first scandi that I had made (If I can do it anyone can).:)

It doesn't matter where you get the blade from, it's just making it that matters:D. Including the sheath for it it cost under £20 to make (purely material cost) and in my opinion that ain't bad.:)

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
I've got a few blades from Brisa over the last couple of years ranging from the cheap and chearfull like these:
http://www.brisa.fi/kank.html
http://www.brisa.fi/lauric.html
through hand made ones like
http://www.brisa.fi/puro.html
to one of these:
http://www.brisa.fi/poul2.html (the one at the bottom)
Always excellent friendly service, and every blade I have bought (yep even that last one!) is easily worth 2 or 3 times the price.
Most are still work in progress but there is a piccie of the KanKaanpa in my gallery of BB, that knife took me about an hour to make, most of which was persuading the brass ferrule to fit over the tang. If someone as inept at handywork as me can do it anyone can!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Doc said:
That is stunning work.

The PT blades are very hard (like some Rosellis) -if not too brittle could be very good indeed.

Looking at Brisa I see a carbon 9.5cm Lauri blade is 6.1 euros and a block of grade 1 curly birch 3.5 euros.

Hand made top quality scandi knife for £6.50 plus effort.......hmm.....vague thoughts of a group buy?
Or take a look at some of the Brisa kits, they are a blade, a block of curley birch plus a bit of fibre, a disk of antler and depending on the kit a brass ferrule and end cap and a nice leather sheath. Basically just the bits you would buy seperatly to make a knife but for a few less euros. I've had a couple of these kits (a laplander and a nordic) and they are excellent value for money. Going that way you wil end uk with a very nice pukko (with a sheath) for about £13 or leku for about £18

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
No sign of a secondary on mine, and I think Dennis would have replaced yours if you had told him based on the almost impossible to find faults on some half price blades I've bought he had classed as seconds from him! Savings of many tens of euros for faults that take 5 minutes to sort out (if they need sorting at all at least one had a 'fault' which I class as adding individual character to a hand forged blade!)

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE