Woodlore Primitive technology course june 06

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Yeah, I went in July '03. It was ace. I don't know whether it's changed since I went, but it was very interesting.

The single biggest project was making a Hickory native american style bow - Chris Boyton came down to run that and it took most of 3 days. (and blistered thumbs! The bow is still one of my prized posessions and really works well!

We also did some Flint knapping with John Lord, some pottery with a nice young woman who's name escapes me, and leather making with Juha, one of the WL instructors. An eccentric and entertaining Botany professor called Gordon came down to take us for a little walk and show us what was edible, and what definitely wasn't.

Once the bows were made we all went a-roving with Ray and Chris which was ace!

The pace is just right - you're left to get on with whatever project you're supposed to be doing at the time and the instructors will wander around and chat away while you're at it. Evenings were spent round the campfire and fiddling with whatever was being worked on - straightening arrows, making bowstring, and my favourite: Whittlin'

The last night they cracked open a case of Stella, which went down really well :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
have a great time you'll really enjoy it.

John lords skill with flint is amazing and though I havent actually worked with chris I have heard great things from those who have.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I attended it in 98 or 99...can't remember now, was a good course and it is easy to see the reason for the high cost of the course: I am not sure if Professor Gordon Hillman attends it anymore as he suffers from an extended illness. His work though is outstanding and his published papers very useful for those looking into the change from hunter-gatherer to farmer. his biography is here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/profiles/hillman.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE