Woodlore Clone

Aug 10, 2011
Israel
Hello All...

Newbie here who seeks a woodlore clone but does not want to put up with the long waiting lists of custyom makers.i am looking for something comercial in that style.beeing new to bushcraft and forum dont want to throw out so much money and time.if i will continue then maybe ill get some nice custom one.

thx and regards

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Well, a good woodlore style knife is the Spyderco Bushcraft, either the new G10 handled variant or occasionally in the sales threads the wood handled "seconds" come up for for a good price. Failing that thebushcraftstore have several woodlore type knives, the classic oak handled one, A Wright knives (although there have been some complaints about quality) and if you fancy making one, they also sell several blanks for you to put a handle on. I have purchased from them before, they take paypal and I believe they ship internationally. Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I do not work for any companies mentioned in my post, and with the exception of the Spyderco Bushcraft second I do not own or have handled any of the knives listed.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
My advice, for what its worth, is that if you want a custom 'bushcrafter' knife, get on a waiting list and use a Mora Companion Knife 860MG in the meantime. :)

Aug 10, 2011
Israel
Hmm never got to the point of a budget.i would say max 100 pound.

@treefrog - was thinking of something like that but as i said new to bushcraft.and i really like the woodlore type.and if i dont move on with bushcrafting i spent what??200-300 for a custom bushcrafter? thats why i am looking for something cheaper.

@kard133 - wish i had the skill to make a knife

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
As treefrog said, I'd suggest you start with a Mora and then decide if you're gonna stick with it. Mora's cost about £10 and they're practically bombproof. It'll let you learn every aspect of cutting with a tool that won't bring tears to your eyes if you lose it or mess it up. The last thing you want to do is wait years and spend hundreds on a custom knife and then mess it up when you find out your sharpening technique isn't up to scratch. A lot of people who use custom knives still love their Moras and some even still carry their Moras as backups/secondary knives - Ray Mears and Mors Kochanski are two famous names that spring to mind.

Think of it like your first car... I've always wanted a mustang but my first car was a rubbish old junker that did the same job, didn't look as nice, but I'm slowly working my way up to that mustang (although it'll take me a LOT longer to be able to afford one!). It's better to learn on something cheaper that won't break the bank and then work your way up to the customs as and when your experience, and bank balance, improve

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I wouldn't buy a knife unless I'd handled it first. I went to shop looking for specific knife which they had in stock but I didn't buy. In the end there was only one knife in the shop that felt comfortable in my hand. I also bought a Mora clipper (as a backup/for other members of the family) so I fully second what is being said about them here.

Both the price and size issues can be handled by making a knife. There is an article in issue 29 of Bushcraft and Survival Magazine (Nov/Dec 10) that covers the whole process and I have bought a kit off ebay that included a piece of O1 tool steel, 2 brass pins and a lanyard pin (?) but no wood on ebay for £11 including delivery.

Aug 10, 2011
Israel
i to would go to the shop and handle it before i buy.but i dont have that option.i guess you guys convinced me.ill get a more first and learn proper sharpening and then after a while ill get something fancier.

Thx a lot guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE