woodlore campcraft 18th july

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
It threw me a bit reading the kit list. On the ones I've done before they all said to take a tent or shelter. This time just a bivi bag. What's the sleeping arrangement?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It threw me a bit reading the kit list. On the ones I've done before they all said to take a tent or shelter. This time just a bivi bag. What's the sleeping arrangement?

Without spoiling it for you and others who'll be going lets just say that shelter is provided ;)

If you've any more questions drop me a PM :)

i'm putting off packing til next week then i shall make a big pile on the floor split it into must haves nice to haves and why have i got this and then jumbling it all about :)
the week menu is giving me a little headache dunno how i will pack a weeks worth of meths to cook it all with either!
not long now

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Are you being serious about the meths?

I have no knowledge of this course, but would assume if it was a woodlore course, which such things as not using a tent ect (but jokingly, playing at things by taking a bivvy bag lol), then maybe you will not be using meths to cook with.

As for the cost, it does seem very dear compared to some courses I have seen, that include various travel, food, accommodation and materials for less. But, on the other hand I once 'flew' the Concorde simulator for one hour, and that cost £600. Value for money is wholly in the eye of the purchaser....I hope you have a great time, and learn lots of great stuff :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Are you being serious about the meths?

the week menu is giving me a little headache dunno how i will pack a weeks worth of meths to cook it all with either!

Only just saw this post.

MoT when I was on the course you were allowed either small group or individual cooking fires. Also there is the main chute fire that you can cook over as well so you don't need to worry about taking a load of meths.

My suggestion would be take a hobo or honey stove, there's loads of wood lying around ;)

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex

700 quid paid they refused to send schedule of week , i was hown how to make cordiage friction fire making shown a milbank bag to filter water all i can learn happily on my own any way and have/did oh hang on was shown 2 knots i didnt know

yup that was worth it - 5 ration packs 25quid me in the woods for 5 days = 25quid £569 = one canadian canoe lasts a lifetime ,yup that course was worth it not
lol

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Back to reality after a cracking week in the woods.

Great course, learned a lot and got some new toys to play with.

Now the only problem is which one do I book next.... hmmmm

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...lol and wl charges you 700 quid for a week in the woods in sussex..."

"...i was hown how to make cordiage friction fire making shown a milbank bag to filter water all i can learn happily on my own any way and have/did oh hang on was shown 2 knots i didnt know..."

It must be pretty depressing to feel that you didn't get your moneys worth. I'm sorry about that. Although I didn't feel that the Campcraft was as 'full on' as some of their other courses I did learn quite a bit and had a good time.

There are a few photos here for those interested.

"...I reckon they could manage to feed you for the price..."

I'd admit that this was a little awkward for me as I flew into the UK for the course on the day it began, however Woodlore were happy to pick up a weeks supplies for me.

Now the only problem is which one do I book next.... hmmmm

mortalmerlin I'm glad you had a great time.

Maybe you should try the Journeyman next? :)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats a great album there Sandbender, I'm really looking forward to getting back to earning again soon so as to continue the Woodlore courses, I get very annoyed at people who for one reason or another feel it nessesary to bemoan the Woodlore courses, just have a bit of a sense of self,if you think there not upto scrtach, fine, if you think there expensive, great, but have your own conversation about it. why do you feel the need to pop into a thread where people are obviously excited about going and start to run the school down, I for one think if you don't have a good time,feel the content a bit empty, then you are not putting enough in. this is directed straight at you william#.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE