Woodlifes - Master Tracker Course.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes. Almost done - just need to complete/update some of the online stuff.

And may I enquire how have you found it? You are obviously able to PM me if required.

Do you feel its an overall quality product? good value for money ? Did you get what you wanted from it and obviously would you recommend it to others??

Thanks in advance.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tracker of what?

Best tracking fun I had in years was:
1. Perfect and measure the proportions of Plaster of Paris for a good casting. Any plaster will do magnificently.
2. Never go out with out the kit in the truck, some cardboard for dams and silicone spray to dry the foot prints/body squiggles.

Make castings of animal foot prints. Start an identified gallery at home.

As a note added in proof, one guy here in the village got a damn near perfect Grizzly Bear foot print casting. Using that as the master, he cranks out framed copies for $150.00 each for the tourists. They sell.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
For me there is 'track and sign' and 'trailing'. Together they are I suppose termed as tracking. I want to observe and 'track' wildlife for the pleasure of watching and getting close to it.
I like to go out and look at the track and sign of certain animals and birds; this is done just for pleasure and gaining knowledge of what is in an area and puzzling out what they are doing, going and seasonal changes of habit and behaviour. When I visit the same areas regularly I can learn the best times and locations to go and observe wildlife. I don't hunt but like to spend time sitting and looking. The sitting, sometimes for an hour or two is rewarding because the woodland, heathland etc settles down and returns to its more natural state. This is both rewarding because the animals and birds come to you or return to a normal state of behaviour. Also the sitting is a very relaxing and 'mindful' activity. I try and use those times to switch everything off and sit, sometimes sketching or making notes or just watching and listening.
One piece of knowledge leads to another. You see some flora and fauna, geology or maybe landscape feature; then that takes you to another subject area of interest, or study to learn how those things fit together and influence each other.

I have not tried to make plaster casts but I could see that being good fun and addictive. I record, measure and maybe sketch things I see.

Trailing is about following the tracks and sign to identify where animal are going to, and from. This also leads on from the sit spot because once the woods etc have settled down you can be more immersed within it and the trailing becomes more rewarding because you are attuned to what going on. Learning how all the elements of tracks, sign, bird behaviour, weather, habitats and animal behaviour fits together is great fun, rewarding and good for the brain and soul!

I'm not tracking to hunt but challenge myself to get close to the animals to watch and observe. It is exciting to move slowly through the woods trailing and then be rewarded with being a few metres of deer. Equally I have had as much fun watching squirrels playing within a couple of metres of me as I sit and the occasional fox emerge and look at me before going on it's way.

The tracking course online gave me the additional tools to explore ideas around bird behaviour, sitting and observation. I brought years of outdoor experience and 'field craft' and the course helped to consolidate and mesh that together. When I signed up we were in a long lockdown so being able to incorporate some sitting and looking on my daily exercise was positive.

What I learnt on the trailing course were the finer nuances and subtleties that I could not have discovered on my own or from a book. I will spend some of the winter practising those skills with more confidence.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Early on in the "sitting still" game, Lots of wild activity seemed to take place out of the corner of my eye. No, you can't turn your head. Frustrating.
As you say, one thing leads to another. For me it was a critical analysis of my immediate landscape to pick out the best vantage point.
A friend of mine has several wildlife cameras. "Trail-cams", we call them. He has perfected his understanding of placement.
Night and day, all year long, he captures more animal images that I would have believed existed in his district.

I like to sit and watch and not entirely with the purpose of hunting. I quit hunting big game decades ago. Birds, yes. Even now, I'll bet I do not shoot at 10% of the forest grouse that I see. Ever watch them roll up an entire dandelion leaf to stuff into their crop? Amazing "no hands" skill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE