Woodland over nighter [April]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Well I decided to go spend the night in the woods that I have just got permission to use,I have guerrilla camped here before but its much nicer knowing if the farmer turns up its just for a cuppa and a chat.

My Wife dropped me off at 4pm and it took about an hour to set up camp,first priority was get my tarp up and my kit underneath it as you never know when the skies will open up here in England, I also Set up my hammock with sleeping bag and self inflating mat.

008-12.jpg

I got the fire box going so I could boil some water for a coffee and while that was heating up I unpacked some more gear and collected some wood for my fire.

023-1.jpg

I took a bag of split wood in with me which put me a head of the game.

009-11.jpg

Id already had my Sunday dinner but I was starting to get hungry so I eat the sandwiches that I had packed,had a nice cuppa and the collected some more wood.

So now my camp was set up and Id had some food and a coffee I chilled out in my hammock for 45 minutes.

View from my hammock.

012-1.jpg

Hammock.

035.jpg

Firebox.
003-4.jpg

Then I went for a walk about.

I found some old dried up puffball fungi,you can see all the brown spores.
026-1.jpg

Lots of bluebells.
001-3.jpg

Nettles,Ive made soup in the past with nettles.
027.jpg

Lords & Ladies[arum maculatum]
014-3.jpg

Standing dead wood that a woodpecker has been busy chopping at.
016.jpg

Don't know who lives here,probably a wood sprite.:D
017-1.jpg

woods.
014-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

Fire wood I had propped up against a tree from the previous year I had spent in theses woods.
009-4.jpg

Found some flint and tested it with my knife and got some sparks.
034-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

It started to get a little cold after sun down so I got my fire going for the night.
041.jpg

Last edited:

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Next morning I woke at 5.45am.

There was still embers glowing in the fire so I got the billycan going for a coffee and breakfast,while it was heating I started to pack my kit away.

057.jpg

Made a coffee and some instant chicken noddles and two rounds of bread.
060.jpg

I was fed,packed and ready to move out by 6.50am and had a 5 mile walk home.

Photos from my walk home.

061.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff Sticks

Please tell me I've seen these pics before somewhere ? I've just had the weirdest de ja vu ever.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I like the idea of the lantern hanging down from the tarp.
Did you add the loop to the inside of the tarp yourself, or is it hanging from the paracord running beneath the tarp?

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
I like the idea of the lantern hanging down from the tarp.
Did you add the loop to the inside of the tarp yourself, or is it hanging from the paracord running beneath the tarp?
The guy line runs through loops above the tarp.

There are loops inside the tarp also and the lamp is fixed to one of these using a carabiner.:)

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
your setup looks very similar to mine, same hammock, tarp and bag lol!

looks nice, it must be great to have your own 'legal' space to play in - i havent found one yet so i still guerrilla camp lol
Great minds :D

It is nice to have somewhere to go and not have to worry about getting kicked off.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
How did you go about approaching the subject of using the farmers land? And how did you find out who's land it is? There are some cracking strips of wood near me but trying to figure out just which farm
it belongs to is a nightmare!!

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
How did you go about approaching the subject of using the farmers land? And how did you find out who's land it is? There are some cracking strips of wood near me but trying to figure out just which farm
it belongs to is a nightmare!!
I talked to some of the locals first of all to find out whos land it was and which particular farm,then the next time I went by the area I saw the farmer in the fields and approached him.

I told him Id clean up the area and keep an eye on the woods and his farm land In exchange for him letting me spend the odd night there,theres badger sets there and there has been some people camping there and leaving a mess and having someone local camp there and watch out for problems is a good deal for him because when people see some guy in the woods with a fire it tends to keep them away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE