Woodland fire pit construction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Unless you have friends on the Rez ready to buy quills and hair, killing a porcupine is a dumb thing to do.
They aren't afraid of much so they don't move fast and are fun to watch. They like carrots.
Fishers can bowl them over and kill them but nobody else messes with them unless they are ultra stupid.

The BBQ stores here sell all sorts of wood chips for smokers. Traditional PacNW salmon smoking is don'e with alder ( it's OK).
I find all the smoke woods too bitter except for apple. Other fruit woods like cherry, plum and pear are nice, too.
The fire is under the wood pan, all the meat is off to one side for indirect heating.
Would not take 5 minutes to set up paulm's Weber and smoke a few racks of ribs.

This is BBQ by definition in the southern US, direct heat with the lid either open or closed is grilling.
Bison has maybe 2g fat for 100g cooked meat. Beef is 11g fat/100g meat.
All that means is that I cook game & bison differently to keep it fork-tender. No need for a knife. Really.
I have not needed to buy beef for more than 15 years.

I mostly grill marinated bison, 4 minutes each side, medium heat. That's almost too much and too long.
Pork ribs, lamb shanks, all chickens, get dry rubs and into the smoker, 3 hrs @ 275F.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I have plenty of apple wood, and some cherry and plum, bit short on bison and porcupine though !!! :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looking good from your pics Paul, is that your newly acquired site? I must come and spend a night or two.

Found out what was skewing my car, disconnected rollbar, now fixed. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I BBQ lots of pork side ribs and chickens of all sizes.
Indirect heat with fruitwood smoke and a dry rub is no fail.
It's nice to have access to lots of different game meats but you can live well without them.

You can cook in the Weber as well as mess about with foods over an open fire, even set up a grill over coals at the side.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Western North America has lost tens of thousands of square miles of everything from grassland to dense forest this summer.
Going to take some time for "green-up" with the ashes after this fire season (which is not over by a long shot).

Lots of hunting seasons have been summarily closed or bag limits drastically reduced.
The baby bears are still busting branches in the apple trees at the ranch. The sow eats what the cubs break off!
Ranch people just take pictures = their place is an oasis in a sea of charcoal.

Paulm's fire pit will keep everything in one spot. Same thing happens with wilderness campsites here = everybody uses the same firepit.
Maybe they add a few more rocks, bring in some slate chunks to set pots on and so forth. Wilderness kitchen. There's a hominess to it.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for sharing those pics. I am trying to organise a fire area and your info is really helpful in sorting out what I want the area to look like. The digging down and removing roots to prevent accidental spread point is something that's worried me. I think you may have sorted it.

Would you object if I printed off the post and used it as part of a presentation to The Powers That Be when I've finished off my plan?

All the best,
Rob

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A useful addition is a covered ‘charcoal dump’ close by. Rxcavated soil on the sude in a mound, a wooden lid.
You dump the left overs from the fire pit there when you come back next time ( ashes and coals cold) so the fire place is nice and clean when you start the new fire.

Once you finish using the firepit, you just put back the soil over the coals.
Also if you make a tight cover, you can store some kindling and wood there relatively dry.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks for sharing those pics. I am trying to organise a fire area and your info is really helpful in sorting out what I want the area to look like. The digging down and removing roots to prevent accidental spread point is something that's worried me. I think you may have sorted it.

Would you object if I printed off the post and used it as part of a presentation to The Powers That Be when I've finished off my plan?

All the best,
Rob

Go for it Rob, glad you found it helpful, but no warranty given as it hasn't been used in anger yet, although it will in the next few days :)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
A useful addition is a covered ‘charcoal dump’ close by. Rxcavated soil on the sude in a mound, a wooden lid.
You dump the left overs from the fire pit there when you come back next time ( ashes and coals cold) so the fire place is nice and clean when you start the new fire.

Once you finish using the firepit, you just put back the soil over the coals.
Also if you make a tight cover, you can store some kindling and wood there relatively dry.

Good idea Janne. I tend to use the cold ash for the composting toilet, helps keep it sweet, ish !!!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll endorse that fire pit design and construction.
That would be adequate for the western Canadian forest that I live in.
I'd only add that I'd never build a fire, big or little, under the canopy of tree branches.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Christening the new fire pit, while listening to the muntjac, pheasants and owls :)
03406f9f147ae578abe62c48d8b4b24c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
It only lacks a couple of beers and frankfurters on sticks being gently done !
Some refreshments were indeed earned and enjoyed ! :)

Rigged up a fire wood shelter and utility area next to the main canopy to keep some of the clutter out of the way, and got a good pile of fire wood cut and stacked. Some more refreshments earned I think ! :)
d3cd54df401422bcc0155d37be3a873d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How many chickens do you think you could get into that barrel BBQ?
Dry rubs and fire it up with apple wood for smoke.
Roast a bunch of potatoes in the fire pit while you're at it.

Are you making any effort to keep a low profile in this location?
Or it's a serious camp that probably will not go un-noticed?

Bunch of brats with mustard & onion on buns with beers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE