Woodland Burial

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Apologies in advance if this crosses a line in terms of personal beliefs, it isn't intended to.

We have a Greenwood Burial Ground near us, and for some time I have been meaning to explore it with a view to deciding where I want to end up when my time comes. The older I get and the more time I spend in woodland or just enjoying the wonders of nature, the more I seriously think I might go down this road.

In an unrelated search for something else I just came across this poem:

"Woodland Burial" by Pam Ayres

Don’t lay me in some gloomy churchyard shaded by a wall
Where the dust of ancient bones has spread a dryness over all,
Lay me in some leafy loam where, sheltered from the cold
Little seeds investigate and tender leaves unfold.
There kindly and affectionately, plant a native tree
To grow resplendent before God and hold some part of me.
The roots will not disturb me as they wend their peaceful way
To build the fine and bountiful, from closure and decay.
To seek their small requirements so that when their work is done
I’ll be tall and standing strongly in the beauty of the sun.

Isn't that wonderful?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I find the idea of burying a lump of meat in the ground pretty disgusting to be honest, have your ashes buried instead.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Obviously it depends on your attitudes to burial/cremation whatever but the romantic in me likes the idea of new life being supported.

It is an incredibly peaceful spot and I can imagine my spirit wafting about through the trees..

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
My wife bought me a very small plot of land in the lake district for fathers day. I intend when the time comes to have half my laid at the small plot and the other half buried.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I hope they take mine off to be experimented on in the name of medical science.
I'm sure my 'spirit' :rolleyes: won't mind, it won't be using it.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Isn't that wonderful?

Yes! I share those sentiments. Good post! Puts me in mind of a bit of Andrew Marvel I ripped into a song a while back:

But I, retiring from the Flood,
Take Sanctuary in the Wood;
And, while it lasts, my self imbark
In this yet green, yet growing Ark;
Bind me ye Woodbines in your 'twines,
Curle me about ye gadding Vines,
And Oh so close your Circles lace,
That I may never leave this Place:
But, lest your Fetters prove too weak,
Ere I your Silken Bondage break,
Do you, O Brambles, chain me too,
And courteous Briars nail me though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A mate of mine was at his wife's grave yesterday, silly woman thinks he's digging a garden pond.

:lmao:

The ashes of most of the last few generations are scattered at a particular set of GPS coordinates, nothing marks the spot, but future generations of my family will know where this particular batch of ancestors lie. Given the option I'd be happy to wander off and die from exposure in some wild place, come the spring, or before, the foxes, crows and insects can have their way with me.

Last edited:

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
How about a sky burial in Tibet? Get hacked up into a fine paste, get flown around in a bird's gizzards and pooped out all over the mountains?

Hehe, great! I love the sound of that. That ('excarnation') is apparently what our neolithic ancestors did before they arranged the bones in a chambered tomb or what have you. Might struggle to get a licence for that in modern Britain though - and "sh*t out by a fox all over the moor" isn't quite as poetic :rolleyes:

I sometimes think of cremation a similar way to your eagle; a sort of fast track to getting most of me vapourised, shot into the atmosphere, and spread out rapidly around the world to be incorporated into lovely wild places and things from tropics to poles.

It's a romantic notion, but then, when the time comes for my remains to be disposed of, I'm not sure I'll know different...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I intend getting buried in the gardens of whatever property I may owen at the time, with a clause in the Deeds so I stay put.

Ill have fun and break taboos.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Weirdly I once saw a Blue Plaque on a house indicating that a Duke was born halfway up a wall (pace Benny Hill) if that helps.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I was thinking of letting my body be used for medical students but if I do t then I fancy my body being floated out to sea on a burning raft.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm not really bothered, if I'm honest - it's not as I'll be around to complain. Was at a funeral this afternoon as it happens - don't know how he's being laid to rest.

Didn't they used to bury dead horses under trees to help fertilise them or am I making that up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE