Wooden Whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
Hey there, just made a little wooden whistle to pass some time.
DSCF7670.jpg

For those who want the story: I've been eyeing up a bit of dead sycamore I pass on my way to school for the past month or so and decided to take it today.
I cut a small length out, used a small screwdriver and various twigs to push the pith out of the centre, then I made the groove for the whistly part with my trusty knife. And last but not least, I made a small plug out of birch that nearly blocks the entrance (you're looking at it head on) which forces the air against that groove more strongly when you blow on it.
This is my first whistle and not amazing, in fact it turned out slightly wrong as I have to block up the end hole to make it whistle, but it has a fantastic tone, maybe I'll upload a video...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good for you :D

If you join a few of them together you can make a panpipe and really drive your folks nuts :naughty: or, if you make a kind of plunger for the open end, as you push it in and pull it out it'll change the note on the one you've already made :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE