wooden utensils and hygiene

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
Having recently started carving a few kuksas, spoons and bowls I'm keen to start using them. One thing I never really thought about, which someone mentioned to me the other day, was the level of hygiene! Obviously with wood there is much more potential for germs to get trapped inside the utensil and multiply etc.

Doesn't really bother me, but was just curious what others thought!?

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
well I have a bowl out of oak, a kuksa of lime and a lime spoon, a second one as the first one was too big. I'll post a few pics for you if you wish, but my bowl is of good quality well made strong wood and after a rinse with sand on spot and proper clean up at home always is kept in mint condition. I seriously doubt that it could contain more germs than an aliuminium bowl. BUT when it comes to lime it's a different story and it need a more carefull aproach. It is soft and with loads of cracks, so I suppose then it comes more to things i put in my kuksa, so far it has only been water and beer in one occasion. I think of changing spoon quite often, it only takes 20min to make and a pleasure doing, but maybe those who has eaten from wooden utensils for longer will tell you more.

Cheers

Last edited:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
As long as you wash them properly they should be fine (i think!). I know Robin Wood is pretty clued up on the subject (and seem to remember a similar thread a while back).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I understand that wood is naturally antibiotic...and a good dip in boiling hot tea/soup should sterilize most bugs anyway!

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Don't think you should really have any problems with it I think the big issue would be if comes in contact more with raw meats especially poultry.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
wood has natural anti fungal and bacterial properties, give it a good wash after raw chicken as said and you will be fine.........

most good kitchens now have wooden boards as it is more hygenic than plastic due to this very property.....

regards...

chris...................................................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE