Wooden Rings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi guys n gals, long time no post as no Internet. But now have an iPhone so can keep up to speed on this hopefuly. Anyway to the subject in hand, wooden rings anyone any experience of making wooden rings, for wearing on fingers? What wood works well wahat to avoid, tips n hints etc please. Any help apreciated. Cheers

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've made some wooden rings out of Ebony, one with silver studs and one with jade inlaid, both looked stunning although one had to be glued due to a crack. They're great when you're doing light things but they can break if you grip something to hard or bash them.

I cut them out of the end grain, used a hole cutter and drilled them out for the rough shaping and then carved, filed and sanded for the rest of it (hard work)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I just finished a rose wood ring - she has not received it yet so couldnt comment on the wearability.
Carved with a knife and then sanded to the right size and buffed with a leasher strip with buffing abraisive stick on it - oiled - then buffed again. Didnt take that long although the fine sanding/buff was just done sat down watching telly.

I think its nice - i would post a pic if i had one...
Reading the above i rather fancy a buffalo horn one myself - might have talked myself into another profect there...

Has anyone set diamonds into wood rings...? O:)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Cheers guys, I knew there would be help here. For those that have already done this, is it best to carve with the grain or not, ie carve the hole down the growth rings or across them or does in not matter?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
i just made the pithy cetre longer and then carved the ring back from the outside - so the grain will go along the same direction as the finger that is wearing it. can chase a ring back easily in the rose, which makes a nice stripy pattern although i found it did catch and lift a little when it was very thin.
One thing i am not sure of is i have mad ethe ring slightly larger than the ring size of the person as it is much wider than a normal ring and more likely to swell slightly than a smooth metal ring and get stuck on... right?

Sep 24, 2005
Aberdeenshire
I've made a few of these in the past from Elder. Just cut a half inch section & push out the pith. Once it's seasoned, it's a pretty tough wood & will take a fair polish. They can either be sculpted in a sort of signet ring shape, or left in the round. You could try carving a simple, pierced Celtic interlace pattern on it, which looks really good.
Tend to go for the plainer, native woods for stuff like this, rather than exotics, as they just look more "authentic" and there's less chance of an allergic reaction to the wood.
Anyhoo, just my tuppence worth...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE