Wooden Mugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to be posting on, I' just getting used to the site.

At the WG on Saturday, my wife and I were very taken with the wooden mugs that some people were using/carrying. Thse had two finger holes on the side and were very nicely made. We asked a couple of people about them who said they had been a group buy.

Are there any threads about them or,alternatively, does anyone know where we can purchase them?

Thanks

Richard

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I think the things you mean are Kuksas. They're originally a Sami design - every Sami has his own, and uses it for everything he drinks. They are now really pretty popular, as you said they are attractive and also functional, if a little small. They are also very comfortable to hold. In Scandinavia you can buy them for about a fiver at most outdoor shops. In the UK it's less easy, but I know the Trading Post used to stock them. I'm not sure what happened to that though so it's not much help I guess! Searching the forums will probably throw up some answers though ;)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Chris is spot on, they are called Kuksa's.....

We bought 15 as a group buy and had them sent over from Scandinavia (the problem now is that 15 of us in our club all have the same mug!!!lol).

There are plenty of places online to buy them.....but the Sami tradition goes that you must either make your own OR be given one as a gift, it is bad luck to buy and use your own. Easy for you guys, just buy each other one lol :D

Here's a link to where you can buy them:

http://www.progear.net/erol/erol.ht...www.google.co.uk%2Fsearch?hl=en&q=kuksa&meta=

Hope that helps.....and don't forget you need to christen them with a nice spirt...rum, snapps etc.....and then drink lots of tea/coffee to darken them off nicely....and for godness sake don't wash them!!! ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
Thanks for the replies, guys.

The link you showed Bam are the ones that I saw. I guess to fall in line with tradition the wife and I will have to buy each other one?

Richard

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
bambodoggy said:
but the Sami tradition goes that you must either make your own OR be given one as a gift, it is bad luck to buy and use your own.

Bam. :D

Now you tell me! I don't suppose now that I've bought one I could dodge the bad luck by saying it was my evil, kit-a-holic twin that bought it for me? You know the one... dresses in red, horns, long tail, always appears over your shoulder when there's a torch or knife group buy listed..... starts whispering about how different the current torch / knife / hammock is from your current collection of 27 torches / knives / hammocks...

Yep, it works for me. I'll blame my evil twin.... :D

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Making my own Kuksa is going to be my next carving project:)

I just need to find the right bit of wood, I am keeping my eye out for a piece of Alder burr, I seem to remember RM reccomending it as suitable wood on one of his programs.

The Swedish ones are apparently made from curly birch :( rather difficult to come by in the UK and I don't have any plans to go to Scandinavia to get a piece:p.

Any tips on making them would be apreciated.

N

Newbie woodworm

the trading post web site is causing me problems, is there another uk site to buy these from?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE