wooden jars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hardr004

Forager
Jan 16, 2010
chichester
I had a thought yesterday. Could you carve a wooden jar, coat the inside with a few layers of birch or pine resin tar, put fruit in side, and seal the outside with more resin. Would the contense of the jar stay fresh if it was something like plums in sugar water?

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi there, I can see your way of thinking and all I can say is try it, and post your results, just a thought though wouldnt a sugar water solution over time become tainted using pine or birch tar as a sealant? would beeswax be a better idea? worth a try either way mate :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Bacteria need food water and air to grow. In order to stop bacteria growth on food you need to exclude water or air. using salt or sugar are common ways of excluding free water, canning and bottling excludes air. So add hot sterile contents and seal from air and your food will last. Or just add enough sugar as in jam making and your food will last.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... wouldnt a sugar water solution over time become tainted using pine or birch tar as a sealant?

... not always a bad thing.
tongue_2.gif

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I had a thought yesterday. Could you carve a wooden jar, coat the inside with a few layers of birch or pine resin tar, put fruit in side, and seal the outside with more resin. Would the contense of the jar stay fresh if it was something like plums in sugar water?

Thinking about it I could try turning a jar for you give my pole lathe a real workout :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE