Wooden Flowers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I spent some time today making a few wooden flowers, Ive not made any in ages and thought id make a few to put out front of the house to add some texture to that part of the garden now that the real flowers are coming to an end as before long, it's going to be quite bare out there.

DSCF4774.jpg

I made about a dozen flowers in the end, the ones pictured in the picture below are made from Hazel with Willow stems and stand about 12 inches high,

DSCF4767.jpg

I also made a few larger ones from Ash & Hazel with Hazel stems and i guess they stand about 18 inches high, pictured below,

DSCF4765.jpg

DSCF4773.jpg

I quite like making these, it's one of those things where you can lose yourself in with your thoughts and there is also something strangely satisfying about making masses of curls on a stick, not to mention it's also great feather stick practice.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Those are amazing. Watch out! Some bushcrafter might try to make off with them;)
Where did you get the idea from?

cheers mate

The idea is ages old, they are also called Gypsy Flowers, some of the ones the Gypsies make are incredible and are hard to tell apart from the real flower at even a moderate distance

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
very cool flowers Kepis those curls are impressive :) How green was your hazel and ash? I have little success with really green stuff but get nice curls from part seasoned willow. Are you using a knife or drawknife? Inquiring minds need to know :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
cheers mate

The idea is ages old, they are also called Gypsy Flowers, some of the ones the Gypsies make are incredible and are hard to tell apart from the real flower at even a moderate distance

Thanks, I've never seen or heard of them before.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
very cool flowers Kepis those curls are impressive :) How green was your hazel and ash? I have little success with really green stuff but get nice curls from part seasoned willow. Are you using a knife or drawknife? Inquiring minds need to know :)

The Ash and Hazel were cut about a month ago i suppose, perhaps a little longer and curl up quite nice now, the majority of the flowers were made with a draw knife, but i made a couple of the bigguns with a Mora

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE