Woodcraft tutorials

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, does anyone have tutorials for the following woodcraft projects?

I'm planning to carve a series of utensils, a spatula, kuksa drinking cup and then a bowl. The spatula is the one that I'm doing next, so I'd like a tutorial for this.

Thanks.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
A spatula is just a split piece of wood (starting with about a cm thick) that you thin out with your axe and knife and then you give it a kind of paddle shape.
It's one of the simplest things you can make out of wood, good luck and have fun!:)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
A spatula is just a split piece of wood (starting with about a cm thick) that you thin out with your axe and knife and then you give it a kind of paddle shape.
It's one of the simplest things you can make out of wood, good luck and have fun!:)
Well, yes that's true. It's probably easier to carve than a spoon, eh? I may carve the spatula but try and add a few new features to it, give it a fancy handle and a hole for a lanyard or something. There's no point in crafting something that's in a sense a step back is there? I'll get the spatula done, but I need a few good tutorials for kuksa and bowl please.

:)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Check out Jon R's website, loads of tutorials there for you to try out.

As for a bowl and kuksa, the techniques are the same for both. Just the bowl doesn't have a handle and is a bit bigger :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Kuksa's are hard to carve! I've made about three and they've all been bad, but it was all great fun!

I have to disagree about when you said there is no pint in taking a step back to basics, you've only made a few spoons, I'm not experienced my self, but the basics help you strengthen your skills.

Well whatever you do, have fun and do it for pleasure! :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Kuksa's are hard to carve! I've made about three and they've all been bad, but it was all great fun!

I have to disagree about when you said there is no pint in taking a step back to basics, you've only made a few spoons, I'm not experienced my self, but the basics help you strengthen your skills.

Well whatever you do, have fun and do it for pleasure! :)

I don't mean there's no point in not going back to basics, I'm saying that the spatula is inherently easier to carve since it doesn't factor in making a bowl or anything like that. It's simpler by design than a spoon. Alls I was saying is that I'll probably make a handle design and a lanyard hole to make it more complicated than it needs to be, to improve my skills because without those added features the spatula is less complicated than a spoon and thus less of a challenge. And why would one carve something easier after they've already carved something harder. Understand? :)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't mean there's no point in not going back to basics, I'm saying that the spatula is inherently easier to carve since it doesn't factor in making a bowl or anything like that. It's simpler by design than a spoon. Alls I was saying is that I'll probably make a handle design and a lanyard hole to make it more complicated than it needs to be, to improve my skills because without that the spatula is less complicated than a spoon. And why would one carve something easier than after they've already carved something harder. Understand? :)

I understood you the first time. My point was, you and I alike, are both beginner carvers and wether or not spatulas are less complicated it still boosts knife skills which are important.

What I was basically saying was: practice makes perfect.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE