Woodcraft Folk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
I don't claim to be a expert, but I am a leader at my local group.

For those who have not come across the organisation it's scouting, but without the Imperialistic Royal Charter. It has also always allowed both boys and girls in the same group.

Local groups vary wildly in what activities they offer.

Since you are reading a history of it, I'm not sure what further information you would like.

However their website is

http://www.woodcraft.org.uk/

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, thats the impression I got

Also a mental image of the Middle class 30s school teacher who visited Russia and `wasnt` dissapointed!

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
Goundhog: beautifully put.

As with all things, it's the people who make it work. The ones i've known have been a magnet to some very strange right on people.

I'm sure that other groups were better run and with better people.

jbth

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It looks like a very worthwhile organisation, both for the children who are members, and for society as a whole.

I would say the same thing about the scouts and the cadet forces though.

Conflict of interest: I am a member of the co-op, an ex-ATC cadet, and all my sons are in the scouts.

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
I would say the same thing about the scouts and the cadet forces though.

I do hope that my comment about the Scouts charter has not been taken the wrong way. Scouts may have moved with the times, but I'm not aware that their charter has ever been changed. They were established during a time of Empire and their charter reflects this.

The woodcraft folk was established after WWI when many were deeply affected by that war. It was established as a pacifist organization, which makes the joke of "paramilitary" just a joke.

It's true that most of them are left wing, but it's not a requirement.

Finally, while they have always received funds from co-operatives they also for some 30 years received funds from the government. Though that ended in "the year of the volunteer".

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I think the inclusive open-to-everyone nature of the Woodcraft folk is a major strength.

I believe the American Boy scouts insist their members believe in God.

The cadets required a promise to serve unit and Queen loyally. I personally didn't have a problem with that promise, seeing the queen as a symbolic figurehead of a democratic country but I though it was a shame that anyone who disapproved of the monarchy could in theory be denied the opportunities the cadets have to offer.

The scouts have obviously moved on from the original edition of 'Scouting for Boys' which I think had some scary jingoism mixed in with the good advice on altruism and self-respect.

I guess the cadets have moved on too. Girls have been able to join for many years. I remember we used to shoot at targets depicting a charging soldier but I think now only bullseye targets are used, and quite right too, in my view.

Hope I'm not straying too far towards the forbidden topic of politics.

I do hope that my comment about the Scouts charter has not been taken the wrong way. Scouts may have moved with the times, but I'm not aware that their charter has ever been changed. They were established during a time of Empire and their charter reflects this.

The woodcraft folk was established after WWI when many were deeply affected by that war. It was established as a pacifist organization, which makes the joke of "paramilitary" just a joke.

It's true that most of them are left wing, but it's not a requirement.

Finally, while they have always received funds from co-operatives they also for some 30 years received funds from the government. Though that ended in "the year of the volunteer".

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
The best outdoor book I have ever possessed was "the Way to Camp" by the Woodcraft Folk I do not remember the Author, but it covered camping, building shelters , styles of fires, how to make sheaths for knives and also rucksacks and tents etc.,
Covering navigation and many aspects of outdoor activities. As a Scout and Venture Scout leader it gave me lots of inspiration, and was well illustrated.. I gave it to a young friend some time ago, and wish I had held on to it.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I seem to recall that a young lad I was at college with last year was in them. If it's the same thing thehit's kinda like the scouts, but not as formal (don't think they do all that God and country stuff). He seemed to like it lots (basically they camped out in the woods, drank beer and had a laugh) and if I was young I suspect it's the sort of thing I'd like.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Old Smokey
The Way to Camp is definitely a brilliant book, I still have my copy which I found in a bookshop back in the 70's. If it was republished it would certainly give some of the modern Bushcraft type bibles a run for their money. Copies are still available on the link below if you want to replace it

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...y=0&kn=s+h+walker&sortby=3&tn=the+way+to+camp

The best outdoor book I have ever possessed was "the Way to Camp" by the Woodcraft Folk I do not remember the Author, but it covered camping, building shelters , styles of fires, how to make sheaths for knives and also rucksacks and tents etc.,
Covering navigation and many aspects of outdoor activities. As a Scout and Venture Scout leader it gave me lots of inspiration, and was well illustrated.. I gave it to a young friend some time ago, and wish I had held on to it.

Dingus Magee

Loitering within tent
Nov 22, 2008
Darkest Aberdeenshire
I think the inclusive open-to-everyone nature of the Woodcraft folk is a major strength.

I believe the American Boy scouts insist their members believe in God.

The cadets required a promise to serve unit and Queen loyally. I personally didn't have a problem with that promise, seeing the queen as a symbolic figurehead of a democratic country but I though it was a shame that anyone who disapproved of the monarchy could in theory be denied the opportunities the cadets have to offer.

The scouts have obviously moved on from the original edition of 'Scouting for Boys' which I think had some scary jingoism mixed in with the good advice on altruism and self-respect.

I guess the cadets have moved on too. Girls have been able to join for many years. I remember we used to shoot at targets depicting a charging soldier but I think now only bullseye targets are used, and quite right too, in my view.

Hope I'm not straying too far towards the forbidden topic of politics.

I'm a CI with my local Air cadets and, although my role is instructing Adventurous Activities and D of E expeditions, I had noticed that the cadets still shoot at targets of a charging soldier. I've recently contacted Woodcraft Folk to express a tentative interest in starting a group up here in NE Scotland. They were very helpful and sent me lots of information...I think it would be a worthwhile thing to get involved in, if anyone in this area would be interested in passing their skills on to young people.
Paramilitary wing of the Co-op...lmao...good one ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE