Woodcarving/whittling advice needed!

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Hello all,
Last weekend I went to the woodworking show at Yandles in Martock, Somerset. After having a chat with some fellas demonstrating whittling I bought a set of flexcut gouges, a flexcut detail knife and some chunks of lime. Now then, my question is this, would 'roughing out' be much easier and quicker with a sloyd size knife ? If so, could be an excuse to buy (yet) another sharpy.....!

Thanks for any advice offered,

Dave.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'll use a bigger knife, usually whatevers on my belt at the time, or a small axe to rough out whatever I'm working depending on it's size on then use the detail knife and gouges.

Roughing out can take a while wilth the Flexcuts. Take my advice though and be VERY careful with the Flexcuts, I'm sitting here with two severed tendons after being careless for a second, they bite deep :)

HTH,
Stuart

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Now then, my question is this, would 'roughing out' be much easier and quicker with a sloyd size knife ?

Dave.

Quicker yes easier no.

Technique is everything, good technique and a sloyd (I would recommend frosts 106) will remove wood faster than a flexicut gouge though the gouge is probably easier to learn to use well. It also depends what shapes you are wanting to create, knives are great for flat plane carving, spoons etc gouges are good for three dimensional sculpture. Green lime, willow or alder would carve easier than dry blocks.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Roughing out can take a while wilth the Flexcuts. Take my advice though and be VERY careful with the Flexcuts, I'm sitting here with two severed tendons after being careless for a second, they bite deep :)

Ouch! Get well soon. Did the same to my left thumb back in 2000 with a leatherman supertool, still aches in the cold weather. Hope the physio helps.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I would suggest use whatever tools works best for you, keep it sharp, preferably securely clamped down or in a vice and just keep your hands behind the blades. I swapped a Frost spoon knife recently simply because I wasn't used to holding the handle and having the blade cut 90º to it whereas a wood chisel with the blade pointing forward felt perfect for me. I've seen people using axes for roughing out, rasps, mallet and gouge. Just go with what you're comfortable with.

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Hi,
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply (sorry for not replying sooner - 'puter's knacked). Stuart - sorry to hear of your injury, hope you recover all movement.
I think because I'm a beginner, I'll get a Frosts 106 just to practice the roughing out, keep the flexcut detail for when I'm more confident about technique etc.

Cheers!
Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE